If you want swelling and bruising to disappear faster, and as soon as possible the desired effect of plastic surgery is manifested, you need to perform several simple procedures. Since swelling and blueness are directly related to circulatory disorders in the area of surgical intervention, all efforts should initially be made to improve blood microcirculation, both in the operated area and throughout the body. The first few days after surgery, it is advisable to take enzymes, fortifying vitamin complexes, as well as dietary supplements that contribute to the normalization of blood circulation.
These include infusions and preparations, which include raspberries, hawthorn, linden, black elderberry, etc. If your doctor has additionally prescribed antibiotics, you should combine them with antihistamines, such as Suprastin, Aleron, Telfast, Diazolin, Tsetrin 1 tablet 1 time per day. A prerequisite is the use of probiotics that protect the gastrointestinal tract from the harmful effects of chemicals.
Local painkillers and decongestants that need to be applied to the area of bruising and swelling include Lyoton ointment, Bruise off, Traumeel, as well as Healer balm and Panthenol aerosol.
Throughout the rehabilitation period, self-massage can be done with light, infrequent pressure through the bandage. It is also recommended to undergo a course of physiotherapy and hardware cosmetology.
Despite the fact that in the first days after the operation, painful sensations appear in the area of edema and bruising, during the procedures adopted to restore the body will help relieve discomfort in the operated area for 4-5 days and prevent the occurrence of inflammatory processes. Throughout the rehabilitation period, it is advisable to avoid excessive physical exertion. In acute cases, you can take painkillers such as Analgin, Nimesil, Ketanov, etc.
Why can complications arise?
Plastic surgery is the same surgical intervention as any other. It occurs with tissue damage, it is mandatory when applying general anesthesia. An operation is performed not just by a surgeon, but by a specialist who has undergone appropriate training. Intervention is complemented by a rehabilitation period, which has its own characteristics. That is, rejuvenation itself does not occur instantly, but will consist of several stages. And deviations in any of them can cause complications after a facelift. It is possible to clearly distinguish the causes of their occurrence into groups:
- Endoscopic facelift
Doctor's mistakes. They may relate to violations of the technique of performing the operation (dissection of tissues, preservation of blood supply in different parts of the face, suturing) or neglect of the rules of sterility. This reason causes several complications at once, or first one of them. But then the chain problem entails others.
- Patient's diseases and body features. Plastic surgery is no longer done by young people who have problems such as high blood pressure and high blood glucose. They affect the speed and quality of tissue healing, pose obstacles to the normal rehabilitation process. Body features may be unrecognized before surgery. This, for example, a tendency to form hypertrophic scars, rejection of suture material.
- Violations of the rules of the rehabilitation period. In order for regeneration to take its course, one has to give up a lot of things for a while, make some efforts. If the patient is in a hurry to return to his former life, habits, this can disrupt the recovery processes in the healing tissues. A special place in this group of causes of complications is smoking.
The problems that patients face after facelift are different. Some are found shortly after the operation, even before discharge from the hospital. Others are alarming in the late rehabilitation phase.
Edema after a facelift occurs even with the unmistakable actions of a specialist and an undisturbed rehabilitation process. The accumulation of fluid and an increase in its volume is a protective reaction to tissue damage. Normally, it reaches a maximum on the 3rd day after the operation. From this moment, puffiness begins to subside. And by the 10-14th day, excess fluid is mostly eliminated.
Naturally, edema after a circular facelift will be more extensive if it is full, fleshy. Indeed, in this case, trauma will affect more tissue. Problems with the heart, blood vessels, and kidneys, even if they did not prevent plastic surgery, can cause swelling to linger for a long time.
After facelift surgery, the patient may begin bleeding. It is a complication in itself, but it also leads to another problem - hematomas. The accumulation of blood in some parts of the face is manifested by increased pain, dark spots on the skin, blood flowing through the seams. It also becomes apparent the growth of tissue volume in the area of accumulation of biological fluid. If a problem occurs, it is detected 4 to 6 hours after surgery.
Minor bruises after a facelift are removed by the doctor through a suture or by suction. A more serious problem, when the blood continues to leak, leading to a tense hematoma, will require opening the wound, cleansing it of blood clots and sealing the vessel.
Suturing is the final stage of the operation. Some of them are removed 5 days after the intervention, others even later. Primary healing should be accompanied by the formation of crusts on the surface, under which tissue epithelization occurs.
If the seams become inflamed, that is, they turn red, get wet, hurt - this is already a complication. It can cause intolerance by the body of the material from which the thread is made. The same thing happens with improper drainage of the wound. The cause of poor healing can be a hematoma. Reduced immunity, vascular, endocrine disorders, chronic diseases, primary suture tightening is slowed down. It may be accompanied by the release of serous fluid. In such cases, specialists prescribe the intake of ascorbic acid, zinc, amino acids in advance. They stimulate tissue regeneration.
Ignoring problems with the healing of sutures, as well as a violation of the blood supply to the skin area, can lead to necrosis. This dangerous complication arises due to excessively large detachment of tissues or when their tension is too strong. The latter leads to non-closure of the seam line. As a rule, areas of skin behind the ears suffer. This is an area where tension is especially active. But the problem can also be found in the temple area and in front of the ears.
In addition to medical errors, atherosclerosis and diabetes, which the patient has, can provoke necrosis. An undetected hematoma can also lead to such a consequence. Fortunately, necrosis is rarely seen after facial surgery.
Suppuration of the wound
Expiration from a postoperative wound of purulent fluid, inflammation is also rarely detected. The causes of this phenomenon are the presence of a hematoma, the development of necrosis, the ingress of hair and other foreign particles into it. To avoid suppuration of the wound, it is washed more than once during the operation, and at the end a drainage system is installed to drain excess fluid.
If a problem does occur, the treatment depends on the cause. Sometimes antibiotic intake and appropriate external treatment become a sufficient measure. In more dangerous cases, suppuration is opened, the wound is cleaned, drained and sutured again.
Problems with the healing of sutures can lead to the formation of thick scars instead of barely noticeable. The same in some people arises from the tendency to hypertrophy, which exists by nature. The problem also appears due to tight skin tension.
Scars have to be treated additionally, for which there are several methods. It can be:
- special ointments, absorbing excess tissue,
- injections of hormones aimed at providing the same effect,
Facial contour deformation
Tightening is also necessary to give clarity to the contours of the face. But with other positive aspects after it, this goal may remain unattainable. The patient complains that the seals do not disappear after a facelift. Such deformation is the result of the formation of small hematomas by the subcutaneous fat layer or displacement of areas, uneven or excessive removal of fat in the chin area. The problem is corrected by repeated operation.
Postoperative sutures with a circular lift are applied to the scalp. And from this head of hair can thinn in the behind-the-ear and temporal areas. The culprits are thinning of the skin and damage to the hair follicles. For most, the problem is solved without intervention after 3 to 4 months, when the follicles are restored. If this does not happen, you have to excise a scar that impedes hair growth or transplant the skin from other areas.
Avoiding Complicated Consequences
To perform face plastic surgery, it is important to choose a good specialist. But the further result depends not only on it and the quality of the operation. In many ways, recovery after a facelift is the patient's care. It consists in the following:
- There will be the first 8 - 10 days of warm liquid or mashed dishes. This is necessary to reduce physical activity, which is contraindicated so far. Sport is also prohibited for the next 2 to 3 months.
- You will have to follow the restriction in the expression of emotions. Active facial expressions are undesirable at first, as it can cause scarring.
- Sutures should be treated with the means prescribed by the doctor. These are usually alcohol solutions or antibacterial ointments.
- Washing your hair is allowed 8 days after surgery. To use cosmetics not earlier than in 10 - 14 days.
- It is important to drink plenty of water, to give up coffee and alcohol for now. Drinks dry the skin, interfering with the healing of sutures.
- Stop smoking. Tobacco violates the formation of collagen, that is, prevents healing.
- You will have to postpone a hot bath (replacing it with a warm shower), a sauna, a solarium, a beach, swimming in a pool or open water. After plastics, these pleasures are provocateurs of complications.
About how the circular facelift today differs from the same operation 5-10 years ago, see this video:
A facelift operation can relieve the traces left by time. But only if the patient will not rely only on the art of a doctor. The result is given by one’s own efforts after the operation. No less important is the examination in front of her.
Facelift for many becomes a real chance to correct deficiencies. However, a facelift also provokes complications, not being an absolutely safe procedure. What can be expected with an endoscopic lift, thread, etc.?
The procedure of facelift before and after gives a significant effect for problem areas of the face. It is important to know all the features of its conduct and recovery in order to get the maximum result.
You can rejuvenate, tighten the skin with a thread lift. However, to avoid complications, care and the right choice of clinic are necessary. What does a face look like after threads? When will the effect be visible? How to get rid of complications - bruises, fibrosis, asymmetry. Is it possible to alcohol after mezzanines.
MAX lifting will help get rid of scars. This is a fairly new procedure, which is also called short-scar lifting. Thanks to the before and after effect, it has become one of the most popular.
How to quickly eliminate bruises and swelling?
In this article, we have compiled a list of important tips from plastic surgeons that will allow you to quickly eliminate side effects associated with the operation, such as swelling and bruising:
- Try to ensure that your head is elevated during the first few days after surgery. This will improve the outflow of blood and lymph from the area of operation, prevent stagnation and accumulation of fluid and reduce swelling of the eyelids after blepharoplasty,
- Place cold compresses on the eyes for the first 2–3 days. Cold helps the vessels to narrow and prevents an increase in hematomas and swelling,
- Refrain from blinking too often, as it contributes to increased swelling,
- To prevent frequent blinking, avoid activities that cause the eyes to dry quickly. These activities include reading, watching TV, working and playing on a computer, wearing contact lenses, etc.,
- Wear sunglasses that protect your eyes and eyelids not only from the sun's ultraviolet radiation, but also from wind and dust. This is necessary, because after blepharoplasty the eyes and skin of the eyelids are especially vulnerable to the aggressive effects of environmental factors,
- Refrain from activities that increase blood flow in the eye area. This includes pull-ups, push-ups and other intense sports training, as well as crying, taking a hot shower, visiting a bath and sauna).
- During the rehabilitation period, drink less alcohol and caffeinated drinks. They cause fluid retention in the tissues and increase blood flow, which means they provoke an increase in edema.
Those who follow these recommendations after blepharoplasty should not be afraid of swelling and bruising.
How long should bruises and swelling disappear?
If the operation is performed correctly and the patient has no adverse concomitant diseases (diabetes mellitus, coagulation disorder and sculitis, etc.), bruises and edema after blepharoplasty are minimal and pass quickly. Edema usually disappears during the first week. The rate at which bruises disappear depends on their size and location. To completely eliminate them, it may take from 2 to 6 weeks. At the same time, makeup products make it easy to hide bruises in the initial stages after eyelid surgery.
What to do if swelling or bruising lasts longer?
If the traces after the operation last longer, you can consult a doctor so that he prescribes additional medicines and cosmetics that will facilitate the elimination of the consequences of the operation.
However, it is important to remember that in the first days after blepharoplasty, edema can increase slightly (this is a completely physiological process), but then decrease steadily. The same goes for bruises. Blood that gets under the skin during surgery can be redistributed a little; during coagulation and resorption, the bruise can change not only its color, but also become slightly wider. If this happens in the first days after plastic surgery, do not be scared.
Following the recommendations and all the advice of a doctor, you can effectively accelerate the process of disappearance of bruises and swelling.
What you need to know about edema
They reach their maximum usually by the third day after the manipulation. And already on the twelfth - fourteenth day they completely descend.
The doctor will give advice on which means (creams, ointments) and procedures (FTL, massage, decongestants) will accelerate the healing process.
In order for the decay of edema to pass faster, help:
- achievements of medicine:
- electromagnetic procedures
- lymphatic drainage
- folk wisdom:
Body restoration must be helped by all methods. But under the supervision of a doctor - this is a must.
If plastic surgery was performed in the upper body, then it is better to sleep after surgery on a high pillow. In order for the edema not to spread to neighboring tissue areas, it must be fixed - use compression underwear for this.
What you need to know about bruises
They appear when a little blood gets under the skin during the operation. Their size and nature directly depend on the skill of the surgeon, and on the features of the skin and metabolic processes in the patient’s tissues.
A bruise or subcutaneous bruising can persist for two weeks and a whole month - this is affected by its depth, the speed of the healing process. Blood thinners are capable of accelerating resorption, but it is strictly forbidden to take them in the first week after surgery.
Desperate ladies go to work a week after the plastic, masking bruises with hypoallergenic decorative cosmetics. This must be done with great care - cosmetics cannot be applied to the incision itself.
What to fear?
As you already understood, to avoid postoperative bruising and edema does not work out completely. But do not be afraid of them - with the right departure from them, quickly there will be no trace. It is important to observe yourself and consult a doctor immediately if you find such symptoms:
- fever (may indicate the presence of infection),
- if edema continues to intensify more than 4 days after surgery (probably bleeding or infection),
- increased pain
- blood, pus, fluid is released from the surgical suture,
- rashes appeared on the skin (an allergic reaction or infection may develop).
Обычно, когда пациент следует всем указаниям лечащего врача, осложнений после пластической операции не возникает.