When you hear shots, what is your first reaction? You probably don't know. For most civilians, this is an unknown experience. However, if you hear gunshots in your area, will you know what to do? Many people will become numb or maybe even run to the sound of gunfire during the ensuing panic. If you take a little time now to think about how to respond, it can help you if you ever find yourself in this dysfunctional and terrifying situation.
How a dog perceives sharp sounds and reacts to them
Fear is a natural feeling that helps living things survive even in the harshest conditions, avoiding injuries and encounters by predators. But the owner should not treat the phobia of the pet carelessly, arguing that this is not a problem, especially since everyone is afraid of something.
In fact, fear and even horror of sharp sounds cause inappropriate behavior of dogs, leading to trouble:
- During festive fireworks, massive pet shoots take place - On such days, the media is literally full of announcements of the loss of favorites or the finding of losses. Unfortunately, far from always the case ends with the happy return of the dog to the family.
- An overly shy dog can make daily shoots - Having heard the sound of a bursting balloon, pyrotechnics, exhaust system, etc., the pet will explode, breaking its head and not taking apart the roads - again, it gets into a very risky situation.
- Loud noises causing panic cause severe stress in the animal - this condition negatively affects the health of the dog, reduces its immunity and the body's defenses - in this case, the risks of developing various diseases increase several times.
Specialists found that fireworks scare dogs more often than shots. And although it is not known for certain why this happens, it is believed that the canine ear catches ultrasound, to which the human ear is immune.
As soon as the owner discovers that his pet is not so fearless, you should take care to protect the dog from existing risks. The main danger is the shoots - sudden, chaotic, while moving the pet can not remember the road and smells. “Runners” cover vast distances and in most cases cannot return home on their own.
Important precautions in this case are as follows:
- The four-legged one should be equipped with a “duty” collar that can never be removed, even at home - this is a narrow accessory made of bright nylon or nylon with a firmly sewn ring.
- The presence of an “addressee” is mandatory - you can make it yourself or purchase it ready. Addresses are made in the form of a tag, plate, token or capsule, which shows the exact address of the dog owners with the name of the city and phones. To encourage people who found a pet to return it to the specified address, it is worth mentioning the reward for such a good deed.
- A shy dog should not be let off the leash during the walk and hope that nothing bad will happen. It is also worth checking the state of ammunition - the dog should not be able to get out of the collar or damage the carbine during a sharp jerk.
- If there are mass celebrations with fireworks, it is important to plan your walks correctly and in no case take your four-legged friends to the event.
Fear of sharp sounds can be corrected. But there is one more important nuance - if a dog is capable of catching objects moving through the air, firecrackers or other unsafe shells may become their prey. This is important to consider when raising a four-legged friend.
Why is the dog in fear
In some cases, phobias are idiopathic in nature, that is, there are no apparent causes of such behavior. In addition, dogs have congenital mental disorders when the puppy is cowardly from birth. Eliminating such pathologies requires more time, but by making efforts, you can make your pet more stress-resistant and calm.
It is difficult to find out why the dog is afraid if the pet is already an adult in a new family. In this case, it is almost impossible to find out the root cause. In other situations, it is recommended to analyze the life of the pet until then, when he began to respond inadequately to shots or other sharp noises. Most often, the pet experiences real stress and its behavior becomes more than understandable:
- once a dog, another dog or person was shot at, of course, that this is not hunting, but violence,
- the pet risked his life or saw someone else being killed.
“Mushtra” does not deserve a favorite who was himself injured, since his horror of the shots is a normal reaction:
- the dog is a real soldier and at work found himself in “hot spots” or worked as a lifeguard,
- the dog is already familiar with pyrotechnic devices, and the experience turned out to be extremely negative,
- it is about a child’s fright, when even a slight sound caused panic.
Experts draw attention to the fact that fears of congenital and acquired origin adversely affect the psyche of the animal.
How to help your four-legged friend get rid of fears
Training and behavior correction are similar activities, but they are based on various aspects. It is not difficult to eradicate fear in an animal, but it will take long and systematic studies. The trainer's task is to instill confidence in the dog, because the simplest thing for a dog in an incomprehensible situation is to flee, but to use an alternative solution, you need a "cold mind".
Experienced dog handlers are advised to use the features of the dog’s psyche correctly and not to make the obviously expected mistakes:
- if a pet is frightened, it cannot be encouraged - to regret, pick it up, stroke it, etc.,
- the distraction method is best suited - you can start playing with the dog or give him a simple command - it’s important to switch the pet’s attention,
- the owner needs to monitor the reaction of the pet - if he was frightened, but was able to get together, this suggests that the correction gives the result,
- so that the dog, frightened, does not rush home in all sails, the person needs to behave wisely - not to run after the dog, trying to suspect it, but to move away from the firing point, wait until everything stops and calmly go home,
- it is necessary to distinguish between behavioral features - a dog, like any other creature, can and should be afraid, but not panicky,
- with corrective training, you should not wait for someone to shoot or slap - such situations need to be adjusted independently - in this case, the owner is easier to react correctly.
You can start classes with a harmless game with small balloons. As a result of the interaction, this toy still bursts, making a rather loud sound. The owner should behave calmly and continue the game. If at this stage there are no difficulties, you can proceed to the following activities.
You should ask another person to blow up a firecracker 100-200 meters from the pet, but it is advisable to do this behind a house or fence. Usually, if the wave dissipates, then the dog pays attention to the sound, can tighten the tail and ears, but will not run away. If everything went well, the distance should be reduced to 25-50 m. After the firecracker is replaced with a starting pistol, again starting from afar and gradually approaching. Ideally, the dog should calmly respond to the shot made by the owner, sitting at his left foot.
Owners of a hunting dog should be aware that using a starting gun is not recommended for correcting behavior. The dog is immediately accustomed to the gun with which its owner goes hunting. The reason for this is the difference in sound waves, so the four-legged "hunter" should get used to this particular weapon.
Dogs are very helpful animals to deal with. Only with proper training the dog will understand how to behave properly in a given situation. In addition, he will learn to 100% trust his owner.