Beetroot is a unique vegetable, without which it is impossible to imagine Slavic cuisine. It is part of many favorite dishes - such as borsch, vinaigrette, beetroot soup, herring under a fur coat and various salads. Therefore, many are interested in how to cook beets correctly, and most importantly, and it would be nice to preserve all the vitamins that this vegetable is so rich in.
How to choose beets for cooking
In order to get a tasty and healthy dish from beets, you need to choose young root crops: they are softer and tastier. The selected root crop should be medium-sized, dense, with a thin skin of dark red color, without signs of damage and rot.
We postpone very large root crops to the side - perhaps this is not table beet, but fodder.
In principle, food varieties can also be consumed, but besides the fact that they will not be so sweet, the chemical composition of the fertilizers used by plants to grow is a little alarming. It must be remembered that the composition of fertilizers for food and feed crops is different, so it is better not to risk it.
The best is considered a variety of Bordeaux - Small flattened root crops of bright maroon color with a thin skin.
If you have an ability buy beets with topsIt’s just great. Greens will tell you about the freshness of the root crop, in addition, the tops in themselves are very useful and from it you can cook some very tasty dishes.
How to cook beets
This question is of interest not only to amateurs in cooking - after all, it must be cooked so that it retains a maximum of useful substances. There are several ways to cook beets quickly and tasty.
This recipe will take a lot of time, but it will save all the vitamins that beets are so rich in.
The root crop is completely filled with cold water and put on the stove, exposing the maximum temperature. After boiling, the temperature is reduced, and beets cooked over moderate heat for another 2-3 hours - depending on size.
The cooking process can be shortened. up to one hourif you pour the beets with boiling water. To make the water temperature even higher, you need to add three to four tablespoons of vegetable oil to it.
This method is used by professional chefs. Beets are boiled at maximum temperature with the addition of vegetable oil to the water. 20-30 minutes, depending on size, then removed from the stove and filled with cold water for another 10 minutes. A sharp temperature drop will bring the root crop to full readiness. The only negative - with this treatment, vitamin C is completely destroyed.
This method cannot be called fast, but it will turn out very tasty. Beets are wrapped in baking paper and set in the microwave for 25-30 minutes.
You can wrap the vegetable in foil and bake it in the oven at a temperature of 200 degrees. But vitamin C with this method, unfortunately, also will not be preserved - it is destroyed already at 190 degrees.
Baked beets are always sweeter than boiled, so a similar method is good if in the future the vegetable will be used to make salads.
The content of the article
- How to cook beets on a salad
- How to make beetroot salad
- How to cook beets in Korean
When cooking beets for salads, you must try to make it not only tasty, but also go well with other vegetables, give the dish color, and the vitamins would remain intact.
How to cook beets
Root crops must be laid so that the water only slightly covers the vegetables, and from time to time it must be added.
When cooking, the beets are covered and a small fire is set. In this case, it is better not to allow drilling. As for the duration of cooking, there is no unequivocal opinion - it will depend on the size of the root crop, and on the degree of rigidity that should result. On average, the process takes 40-60 minutes.
The readiness of beets is checked by piercing it with a toothpick or knife. Beets are considered finished if its flesh easily glides over the surface of the knife. But you should not do this too often - if the root crop is drained very much, a lot of juice will flow out of it, and this leads to a loss of brightness and loss of vitamins.
Salt should not be - firstly, it is useless, and secondly, the taste of beets can only be spoiled.
How to cook beets in a pan
Need - a pound of beets, water
- When cooking beets, do not peel it and do not cut the tail. Using a brush, thoroughly wash the beets from the ground.
- Pour water into a pot and put on fire.
- Put the beets in the pan. So that there is no strong smell and that the vegetable does not color the pan, you can put beets in a plastic bag "for breakfast".
- How much to cook beets? - Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 40-50 minutes depending on the size of the beets. Cook very large and old beets for up to 1.5 hours. Just cook a big but young beet for an hour. If you grate any beets on a grater, it will be cooked in 15 minutes.
- Check the readiness of beets by piercing with a fork: you will understand that the beets are cooked if the finished vegetable is pliable to pierce without the use of effort. If the fork does not penetrate the pulp well, cook for another 10 minutes and check the readiness again.
- Pour the finished beets with cold water and leave for 10 minutes so as not to get burned during cleaning and slicing. Peel the beets, it is cooked!
Little tricks when cooking beets
To prevent the beets from cooking during cooking, the water after boiling can be sweetened or acidified - a couple of spoons of sugar or table vinegar for three liters of water without vegetables.
There are no special rules regarding the material of dishes used for cooking beets. The only thing to keep in mind is that the beetroot decoction turns out to be coloring, very saturated, so you should not use such dishes that will be difficult to wash. It is not recommended to cook beets in metal dishes. In terms of volume, it is necessary to choose dishes that are not very large so that there is as little empty space as possible. Ideally, when the distance from the water to the cover is two to three centimeters.
You can put a crust of bread in the pan when cooking - this way you get rid of the smell of boiled beets, which is inevitably present at this time and not everyone likes it.
To make the beets easily cleaned, after cooking it is better to rinse or cool them, for which they should be dipped in cold water for 8-10 minutes. You should not cook beets in the same bowl with other vegetables for salad - with a separate cooking, the color of the root crop remains brighter. So that the beets do not stain other vegetables with their juice, it must be cut and mixed in a separate bowl with the addition of sunflower oil. The oil creates a thin film on the surface and retains the juice.
A quick way to cook beets!
the method is suitable only for young beets
1. Pour the beets with water with a margin of 2 centimeters above the level of beets.
2. Put the pan on the fire, add 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil (so that the temperature during cooking was above 100 degrees) and cook for half an hour after boiling over medium heat.
3. Drain the water and fill the vegetable with ice water (drain the first water and fill it with new water so that it remains in ice water).
Cook the beets in cubes
- Pour water into a saucepan and put on fire. Wash, peel and chop the beets in large pieces. It is better to do this with gloves, since the juice of raw beets is poorly washed by hand. Dice the beets in boiling water.
- Add a spoonful of sugar so that the beets do not lose color, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water - the beets are cooked, peeled and sliced immediately into a side dish, salad or vinaigrette.
In the pan as a whole
It is best to cook the beets whole. So it will remain juicy and bright.
- Choose small tubers with a thin burgundy skin.
- Wash the vegetables thoroughly, leaving the bottom of the tops and root.
- Fold in a pan, fill with cold water.
- Put on the stove, after boiling set medium heat.
- Add to water 1-2 tbsp. l vegetable oil.
- Cooking time - from 2 to 3 hours.
To quickly cook beets and preserve maximum vitamins, use the following recipe:
- Pour boiling water over the tubers.
- Put the pot on the fire.
- Turn off the stove half an hour after boiling.
- Drain boiling water and substitute hot root vegetables under a stream of cold water.
- Wait 15 minutes: the temperature difference will quickly bring the root crop to readiness.
- The whole process lasts 40-50 minutes.
If you have only 20-30 minutes at your disposal, the following method will help to quickly cook beets:
- Pour boiling water over the tubers so that 8 cm of water covers them.
- Put the pan on a large fire, do not cover it.
- Cook for 15–20 minutes without reducing heat.
- Drain the boiling water and fill the vegetables with ice water for 5-10 minutes.
The disadvantage of this recipe is that when it is used in tubers, vitamin C is destroyed.
The following method is longer, but it prevents the breakdown of nutrients:
- Pour the beets with cold water 5 cm above its level.
- Put the pot on a large fire and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium.
- After 30-40 minutes, set the minimum heat and bring the root crop to readiness.
Finish the cooking process by insisting boiled beets in cold water. Thanks to this, the peel is easier to remove.
Cooking in pieces
Sliced beets are boiled quickly. This method is relevant when preparing salads.
- Peel the root crop, chop into cubes or straws.
- Pour water into a saucepan, bring to a boil and add a small amount of lemon juice or acid.
- Put the beets in the dishes.
- When everything boils, select the minimum heat.
- Slightly open the lid.
- Cook the vegetables until cooked for half an hour.
You can quickly cook beets for salad, having previously cut it into cubes.
How to cook in a bag
If you don’t like the smell of boiled beets, use a bag.
- Place the root crop in a plastic bag, let out air and tightly tie.
- Put in a pan with cold or warm water. The liquid should cover the tubers by 5 cm.
- Set the fire to maximum, after boiling, reduce to a minimum.
- Cover the pan a little.
- Boil for an hour.
Some housewives are suspicious of this method. It is believed that polyethylene can release harmful substances when heated.
How to keep color when cooking
To prepare a beautiful dish, it is important to properly cook the beets so that it retains color.
Here are some suggestions:
- try not to damage or cut the tubers during the cleaning process,
- do not allow strong boiling during cooking,
- add 1 tsp to water sugar, 0.5 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
The following factors affect time:
- cooking method,
- beet size
- age: young vegetables boil faster than old ones.
|Weight (g)||Cooking time (minutes)|
Long cooking is due to the high fiber content in the root crop.
Recommendations for hostesses:
- Rinse the beets thoroughly before cooking, but do not peel or cut the root.
- Do not salt while boiling. This slows down the preparation of the root crop. It also becomes tough and can lose taste.
- To neutralize the smell during cooking, add a crust of bread to the pan.
- Check the readiness with a fork: it should easily enter the vegetable.
- Cut boiled beetroot for vinaigrette separately and season with vegetable oil. Due to this, other vegetables will not stain in its color.
- Do not store peeled raw vegetables: Vitamin C is destroyed upon contact with air.
- If the tubers are dried, do not throw them away. First, scald with boiling water, fill with water, wait until they swell, and set to boil.
Depending on the desired result and the amount of free time, you can cook beets from half an hour to 2-3 hours. From the suggested recipes and recommendations, choose the best way to prepare this healthy and tasty root crop.
In the microwave - 7-8 minutes
1. Wash and cut the beets in half, put in a microwave bowl, pour in a third of a glass of cold water.
2. Set the power to 800 watts, cook small pieces for 5 minutes, large - 7-8 minutes.
3. Check for readiness with a fork, if necessary, make a little softer to return to the microwave for another 1 minute.
More details with photos
The important thing about cooking beets
- Put the beets correctly in boiling unsalted water, because the beets are sweet. In addition, the salt “tans” the vegetable during cooking, making it hard. It’s better to salt the cooked dish - then the salty taste will be organic.
- When cooking, make sure that the water completely covers the beets, and if necessary, add boiling water, and after cooking it can be put in ice water for cooling.
- If a bag is not used for cooking beets, it is recommended to add a tablespoon of 9% vinegar, a tablespoon of lemon juice or a teaspoon of sugar to preserve color.
- To get rid of the strong beetroot smell, put a crust of brown bread in the pan in which the beets are cooked.
- Young beetroot leaves (tops) are edible: you need to cook the tops 5 minutes after boiling water. You need to use the tops in soups and vegetable side dishes.
- Beet should be chosen as follows: beets should be medium in size, the color of the vegetable should be dark red. If you can determine the thickness of the skin in the store, be aware that it must be thin.
- Boiled beets can keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, after the beets will begin to lose taste, will begin to dry out. Boiled beets are not stored for more than 3 days.