Training and practicing shooting techniques is a good way to develop a quick response in tense situations. Training individual movements makes you fast and consistent, and practicing your skills will allow you to get an idea of your capabilities (speed and accuracy). By combining them with tactics, you can become more prepared for battle than your opponent, when it starts to smell like kerosene!
Method 1 Pistol Reloading Exercises
Despite the fact that familiarizing yourself with a wide range of firearms seems like a good idea, defensive actions should mainly be carried out with one or a pair of pistols (taking into account the presence of the main and “auxiliary” pistols). This will allow your body to keep a mechanical memory of working with weapons. Therefore, instead of thinking: shutter in the extreme rear position? → release the magazine latch → remove the magazine → take a new magazine → insert a new magazine in the correct position → press the shutter delay button. If you train long enough, this process will become familiar to you, and only by presenting a chain shutter in the extreme rear position? → reload gun, you will do everything you need while considering the current situation.
- 1 You must quickly reload the gun in 100% of cases - regardless of the gun and magazines.
- 2 An emergency reload is a recharge in the case when you had to use up all the cartridges in the magazine and the shutter was in the back position. It must be produced by aiming the gun at your target. By lowering the weapon, you give your goal a psychological advantage, while your focus is on the gun and not on the target.
- The technique is as follows: when the shutter remains in the back position, you need to take a new store (most likely from the magazine pouch). When moving a fresh magazine in the direction of the gun, remove the empty magazine, which should fall to the ground (during training, they should essentially change with each other). Attach the back of the magazine to the rear of the window in the magazine box, combine them with a little effort (there should be a slight resistance), insert the magazine with the back of your hand, and then turn off the shutter lag.
- 3 Tactical reload - This is a recharge in which during a short respite you get the opportunity to hide in cover and recharge. You understand that you have spent several rounds from the current store and want to prepare for what can happen next.
- The development of this technique should be done at the ready, since it needs to be done in cover when the other shooter (target) can be visible, but not pose a direct threat. Reach for your magazine pouch (or another object in which you store stores, say, in your pocket) and take the store with your thumb and forefinger and middle finger. Move your hand back to the gun and remove the half-empty magazine in your hand, holding it with your ring finger, little finger and palm. Insert a new magazine into the gun and twitch it slightly to make sure it sits well in the magazine box. (This is especially important if the store has been outfitted). This reloading does not require any action with a shutter lag.
- This reloading should be done before you holster the gun again, so that if you need to get it again, you are completely ready.
- 4 You should be so trained that when shooting (no matter how many rounds are in the magazine), you can feelthat the gun is empty.
- The shutter makes two separate movements after each shot, after the last cartridge is fired, you will feel only one movement, but above all, there will be less vertical recoil. The faster you can reload the store, the better. After that you should execute emergency reload.
Method 2 Training
Knowledge is useless without training. You can read this and even understand the process of tactical training, but without real implementation of these elements, all this is useless. In the shootout, you will not use anything that has not been deposited in your mechanical memory. In order to provide a large number of alternative options during the shootout, you must practice all the skills listed here, as well as find other types of training or come up with your own. This will allow you to use a large number of techniques that you can hide in your sleeve.
- 1 Stand at a distance of about 6.5 meters (the distance at which the FBI agent in one and a half seconds can determine that a person is going to move - about the time it takes to snatch a gun and shoot) from a large (more than 25 cm) target. In the rack with the gun down (ready), raise the gun as fast as possible to the shooting position and focus on the gun’s front sight. Wait until you see the front sight in its entirety and pull the trigger (this is called instant aiming). You must hit the 25 cm target every time. If you miss, try shooting slower. The main thing is perfect training, and speed will come with time.
- 2 The next stage is to shoot groups of shots on purpose. Take a few steps back (9 meters). Do the same as last time, but this time take two or three quick shots at the target, firing between them instant aiming. As soon as you can approach the firing position and carry out three quick shots at a target of 25 cm or more in size with an even interval of one and a half seconds, you can continue training.
- 3 Practice with multiple goals. You can start by setting three or more targets at a distance of a meter or two. Run to the firing position and move along the line. One shot for each target. Change the task: try to shoot in a different order, let a friend tell you the number of the target for which you want to shoot ("first!", "Third!", Etc.), but the key point is to be guaranteed to hit the target . Once you are sure that you can hit the target anyway, try speeding up. First, when you shoot, move the gun along with the recoil. Once the return is over, you will have to work on another goal. Becoming faster, you can force the gun back into place and be prepared for the next shot before the recoil ends.
- 4 Practice on the move. In motion, you must hit targets from 9 meters. Set three or more targets a few meters apart. Begin in 15-18 meters. Pulling out the gun, run up to the point of the firing position located at a distance of 9 meters (from your first target). Take a series of two shots, take a step forward to shoot at the next target, etc. Each time, running through the lane, try to perform all actions faster, try to make as few pauses as possible when shooting (even in motion you should be able to perform instant aiming) The longer the pauses, the more accurately you will hit the target, but in a shootout time goes much faster than at a shooting range.
- 5 Master Mozambique exercise. If a friend calls the numbers of the targets, and he calls the number of the target that you have already shot at, then it's time to take a headshot. This technique is also called a “slip event”. Its meaning is that if you shot at the target, and she did not particularly notice this (for example, the enemy is high, he has body armor on him or he is too determined) and continues to go, then you shoot in the head. Read the section living goals below to find out more information.
Method 3 Living Goals
To learn more about bullet hit factors, read the following notes.
- 1 The location of the bullet is much more important than the bullet itself. In the human body there are two critical areas in which there are important organs and centers, the entry into which causes the cessation of human movement or death.
- 2 Chest cavity - This is the "center of gravity" of the human body. In this area are the heart, large veins and arteries, trachea, bronchi and lungs, esophagus and nerve structures, including paired vagus nerves. The area that is enclosed by the chest cavity begins above the diaphragm (directly under the sternum) and forms (when viewed from the front) a dome with an apex at the first transverse rib. This is a fairly large area to aim. Getting into any of the areas of the chest will not have cardinal features from others, unless you get into the heart.
- The problem with shots in the chest cavity is that a fighter or a drug-intoxicated fighter will not be particularly impressed, no matter what gets into his chest. Even if you destroy a person’s heart, he will have 20 to 30 seconds of normal mental and physical activity, for which he will be able to seriously injure or even kill you. In addition, the heart is a very small target and it is almost impossible to completely destroy the heart with one shot. This means that the enemy will have even more time before his fate is decided. For these reasons, many have a rule of self-defense: "Shoot until the threat is neutralized." But you must decide for yourself what your rule will be.
- A significant factor is body armor. Just by shooting in the chest of a person (unless you fall into the same place every time), you will only use up your store.
- The penetrating ability of a bullet is a very important factor when choosing a cartridge. This feature provides several points. A bullet with its high value will reach vital organs at an angle much less than optimal. Also, it is likely that it will reach the spinal cord, as a result of which (depending on the place of impact) the enemy’s body may be partially or completely paralyzed, and this can save your life.
- 3 The second important area is skull box. This zone is much simpler; it contains the brain and part of the spinal cord.
- Despite the fact that the brain is an obvious goal, there are several considerations regarding aiming in this area. The frontal part of the skull (above the eyebrows) is one of the hardest bones in the human body, it is also a flat target (it is slightly tilted back or to the sides). There are examples when bullets ricocheted from the forehead.
- Fortunately, right under this bone (below the eyebrow) and to the upper jaw there is a very soft zone with cartilage and holes that leads directly to the lower part of the brain, the medulla oblongata and the upper part of the spinal cord. The brain is the largest target, and a bullet in it will mean death, but twitching and slight movements are observed with gunshot wounds to the brain. The medulla oblongata and the upper spinal cord send these signals to the body for twitching. A bullet that hit one or the other - and the body will not be able to accidentally pull the trigger or make another potentially dangerous movement.
- In a situation requiring immediate and immediate incapacitation of a person, a shot in the head is required over an area of 7.5 cm (above the upper jaw and to the eyebrows) at 12.5 cm (outer edges of the eyes). This area of 7.5x12.5 cm is always about the same, no matter what angle the person is at you. It has almost the same size at the back and sides and is located almost at the same level).
- 4 For training, you should replace the round target on the chest with a domed target of 28 by 12.5 cm in size and a head with a target of 7.5 by 12.5 cm in order to get a more realistic aiming area. When scoring (to compare your progress) or during a competition, a shot that has pierced any of the skulls is considered good. Accuracy should be less important than the speed of shots. When shooting at the skull, only the shot that is guaranteed to hit the target should be fired (you will always spend more time on a shot in the head than on a shot in the chest). However, keep in mind that "on the worst day at a shooting range, your results will be twice as good as in a shootout." Therefore, the optimal rule is the general rule of performing shots with accuracy of diameter from the palm of the hand into the chest.
Method 4 Quick Fire
In most shooting ranges, equipped indoors, you will not be allowed to practice fluent fire exercises, so you will need to find another place for this. There are two main groups of firearms, and the action of the descent is different for them.
- 1 Glock and other pistols with only self-cocking trigger (DAO) (for example, triggers QA Walthers, LEM and DKA) are characterized by a drop point after firing. Shoot the target, and then slowly release the trigger until you hear a click, after which the focus of the trigger will decrease. At this point, you can press the trigger again. This not only allows you to be more accurate when shooting with single shots (thanks to a shorter pull on the trigger), but also, when your finger gets used to this movement, this technique will be the best for fast shooting.
- 2 Most other pistols (single action — SA, double action — DA, double / single action — DA / SA) are more standard. You need to fully release the trigger to fire again. For this training, the SA and DA / SA systems will be the lightest, since they require less pressure on the trigger compared to DA- (or DAO-) counterparts.
- 3 After you pull the trigger. First of all, you need to train (at short distances - 3.5-7.3 m) to shoot a pistol as quickly as possible. The faster you pull the trigger, the more alternatives you will have.
- 4 The action of the mechanism of the gun during the shot is as follows: the bullet fires, the bolt rolls back, the sleeve is removed, as the bolt moves forward, the rest of the gun (frame, barrel, etc.) rises (this is called vertical recoil), and as soon as the bolt returns to its original position, you can again from the gun will shoot. The bolt returns to its place before the gun returns to its original position in your hands.
- 5 If you pull the trigger before the gun is in your hands at rest, the bullet will fly higher than the previous one. If you wait too long, the gun will drop below its original position, and the shot will result in a low bullet flight. You can either wait a little longer (but then you can remove the word "fluent" from the name of this workout), or adjust the time of the shot so that it falls on the pistol passing the rest position.
- You can also increase the speed of the shot cycle by squeezing the pistol grip harder / harder (too strong for accurate single shots). In this case, the distribution of time will be more important, but you can shoot faster.
- Please note that each pistol and each caliber will have its own shot cycle time, therefore it is better to train with different pistols. If you don’t understand the timeline of the weapon, you can hardly hit the target accurately even from a distance of 4.5 meters.
- If your bullets hit higher than the first, then you should shoot slower. Alternatively, you can grip the handle of the gun harder. If you fall below, then either shoot faster or loosen the grip of the gun handle.
- 6 With a little training, you can achieve accuracy of 25-30 cm from a distance of 6.5 m. As soon as you start to get it, or you are close to it, you can add other exercises: set two or more goals. Shoot four or five times at one target, and then turn to the next, etc. This is a combination of one of the previously mentioned exercises and practicing a quick fire.
Method 5 Other Exercises
There are other exercises you can use to hone your skills. As was said, in a tense situation, you will not do what you have not trained in. The following exercises will allow you to explore non-standard elements that will provide you with options for action during a shootout or other stressful situation.
- 1 This exercise can be added before any other. Oto is designed to speed up your heart rate and possibly add a little adrenaline to your bloodstream, which will provide you with a mild tunnel vision effect. Before doing the exercise, firmly fasten the gun in the holster and do 20 or more push-ups from the floor. Continue until you start to feel a burning sensation and you will not hold your breath. Jump and start practicing shooting as soon as possible. You will notice that aiming more thoroughly will be much harder, whereas sensations with an ordinary instant aiming will not differ much, which explains the importance of this exercise.
- 2 Большинство полуавтоматических пистолетов не стреляет, если затвор не находится в крайнем переднем положении. Это превращается в проблему, когда пистолет прижат к чему-либо или когда передняя часть пистолета прижата к чему-то мягкому. Простое упражнение, помогающее удерживать плохих парней подальше от вашего пистолета во время боя в помещении, – это держать согнутую под углом 90 градусов вспомогательную руку перед грудью. This will help keep the bad guy at a distance while your hand with the gun is lowered near the hip. For training: a high target is suitable, on which you can lean on your hand and shoot (the target must be soft so that the bullet does not ricochet and does not split - shoot straight ahead so as not to fall into your hand). A couple of training will be enough, you should get an idea of the technique.
- 3 To run a bad guy in most cases may seem like a bad idea, but if he recharges or is somehow distracted, this can provide you with an advantage (you can take him by surprise or disarm). Set a target with a target on your chest (25 cm or more) at a distance of 13.7-18.3 m from you. Start running towards her, and when you feel that you are close enough to hit the target in motion, slow down to walk with your knees bent (to maintain smooth movements of the upper body) and shoot.
- Add various elements to the run: let a friend tell you when to shoot (in random order). Or start running at the same time your friend starts recharging. Let your friend scream when he is finished to let you know when to start shooting. This can be turned into a reload and run competition (you will also get an idea of the recharge time in case you ever want to attack the enemy).
- If your training base allows, then take a position at a distance of 13.7-18.3 m from the target. Have another participant stand sideways away and point to different targets. A competitor who is standing on the side must have one cartridge in the barrel, an empty magazine in the gun and a full magazine in an easily accessible place (for example, in a magazine pouch). You have to be ready with a gun. Another participant starts to shoot, you start to run towards the target. When you run close enough for a good shot, you shoot, if the other participant has time to recharge and hit the target faster than you, then he wins. It’s better (from a security point of view) for another participant to aim and shoot at a target that is away from you, so that at any moment no one is on the line of fire of one of the participants.
- In addition, you can try to reload weapons while running, and then, when the gun is reloaded, shoot at the target (this is the most advanced version of this exercise).