wikiHow works on the principle of a wiki, which means that many of our articles are written by several authors. When creating this article, 19 people (a) worked on its editing and improvement, including anonymously.
The number of sources used in this article is 26. You will find a list of them at the bottom of the page.
Due to colds and allergies, mucous secretions can accumulate in the nasal cavities, often accompanied by painful sensations and causing infections. If you blow your nose, it will only bring temporary relief, while many decongestants cause drowsiness and other side effects. Increasingly, people are resorting to rinsing the nose (irrigation of the nasal cavity) for quick, effective and natural relief. Sometimes, nasal irrigation also helps to remove foreign particles, including pollen, dirt and dust. According to studies, regular use of nose flushing devices significantly reduces the frequency or severity of nasal cavity infections in people with a tendency to this ailment. The ability to rinse your nose will improve your well-being and help get rid of infections.
How to rinse your nose with sinusitis
Rinsing the nasal cavity is recommended to start as soon as possible after the appearance of the first signs of inflammation and diagnosis. About how many times a day to carry out the procedure, it is better to check with your doctor. Thanks to rinsing, serous-purulent exudate is removed from the paranasal sinuses, inflammation is removed and nasal breathing is restored.
By clearly following the doctor’s instructions, the negative consequences of maxillary sinusitis can be avoided. To carry out the procedure at home, it is necessary to purchase the medicines prescribed by the doctor, to prepare special solutions. Also, depending on the purpose, you may need: a large syringe, a syringe, a nasal shower or a kettle for washing the nose (Dolphin). In the absence of auxiliary equipment, you can draw the solution with the nostrils from the palm of your hand.
As solutions for washing the nose with sinusitis at home, decoctions of medicinal herbs, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic drugs, saline and alkaline solutions, antibiotics can be used. For the procedure you can not use too hot or cold remedy, its ideal temperature varies from 38 to 40 ° C.
The simplest and most effective way to rinse the nasal cavity is flow. It is carried out using a syringe (a syringe without a needle, a nasal shower or a teapot) in the following sequence. The prepared solution is collected in a large soft syringe.
The patient bends over the sink (basin or bathtub), turns his head to the side so that the nasal nostril is less blocked from above, since the procedure begins with it. The tip of the syringe is smoothly and deeply inserted into the upper nostril. By slightly pressing the syringe, the fluid is gradually introduced into one nasal passage so that it flows out of the other. In order to avoid the solution getting into the throat, it is recommended to make long vowel sounds.
The procedure is repeated from the second nostril. At the end of the manipulation, the patient alternately blows each nasal passage so that the remnants of the purulent-mucous exudate and rinse solution come out of the sinuses and passages.
To eliminate the symptoms of inflammation, it is recommended to use aloe juice (in the form of drops). The extract of this plant is part of some drugs used to treat sinusitis.
After washing, it is recommended to stay lying down for 40-50 minutes, resting your head on a high (extra) pillow. This precaution is necessary to prevent residual solution from entering the cavity of the Eustachian tube, which can lead to the development of otitis media.
It should be borne in mind that solutions with drugs or sea salt should be prepared immediately before the procedure. It is not recommended to reuse cooked products.
To achieve a therapeutic effect, the procedure must be repeated 2-3 times a day, and its duration should be 5-15 minutes.
Causes of inflammation
Sinusitis (inflammation of the maxillary sinuses) is a complication of acute respiratory diseases. Other developmental causes are also possible:
- the development of a bacterial focus against allergic rhinitis,
- infections of the oral cavity (caries),
- inflammatory processes in the internal organs,
- frequent colds
- decreased immunity,
- the presence of infection in the organs of the nasopharynx,
- violation of the drainage function of the sinuses (there are stagnant phenomena that contribute to the accumulation of pathogenic microflora),
- deformation of the nasal septum.
Most often, antiseptic solutions are prescribed for washing the nose with maxillary sinusitis.
Furacilin can be used to prevent and treat inflammation. It is active against many gram-negative and gram-positive microorganisms, including staphylococci and streptococci, which most often cause inflammation of the paranasal sinuses.
There are several dosage forms of the drug - an alcohol solution, tablets and a sterile solution. A sterile solution or tablets are used to rinse the nose with Furacilin for sinusitis, since the use of an alcohol form can lead to a serious burn of the nasal mucosa.
When prescribing tablets, the doctor gives recommendations for their dilution. Typically, to prepare a solution, one crushed tablet of 0.2 g is dissolved in 1 liter of boiled water (temperature - 40–42 ° C).
Chlorhexidine can also be prescribed for washing, although its instructions for use do not indicate that the drug can be used in such cases. For the procedure, a ready-made solution in 0.05% concentration is used.
Therapy of maxillary sinusitis involves an integrated approach, therefore, along with medicines, decoctions from herbs can be used.
In the complex therapy of sinusitis, hydrogen peroxide (hydrogen peroxide) can be used, but only as directed by a doctor and in the indicated dosages (to avoid burns to the nasal mucosa). For instillation or washing of the nasal passages, a 3% solution diluted in boiled water or saline is used 4–5 times a day.
To instill nasal passages in adults, 10-12 drops of hydrogen peroxide are mixed with 1 tbsp. spoon of water (30–35 ml). Next, 5-6 drops of the resulting solution are instilled into each nostril. After the procedure, sinus is cleansed of accumulated mucus. In children, the doctor adjusts the dosage depending on the severity of the symptoms and the age of the child.
To rinse the nose, 30–35 ml of hydrogen peroxide is mixed with 130–150 ml of warm water.
Rinsing the nasal passages with salt water, according to reviews, is the most common method of treating sinusitis at home. Saline solution saturates the mucous membrane with sodium and chlorine ions, which are responsible for regulating the functioning of cells and the distribution of fluid in the tissues. The minerals in the salt activate the ciliated epithelium and enhance local immunity. Salt helps dissolve and remove mucopurulent exudate from the cavity of the nasal sinuses and reduces inflammation.
Saline solution can be purchased ready-made or prepared independently. To do this, 1 teaspoon of table or sea salt is dissolved in 0.5 l of boiled water 36–38 ° C. Nasal passages with this tool are washed 2-3 times a day.
Also, baking soda can be used to prepare the solution, which helps to relieve swelling of the nasal mucosa. To do this, ½ teaspoon of salt is mixed with the same amount of soda and dissolved in 200 ml of boiled water. A ready-made remedy can both rinse the nasal passages (3-5 times a day) and gargle.
Decoctions of herbs
Therapy of maxillary sinusitis involves an integrated approach, therefore, along with medicines, decoctions from herbs can be used. The selection of herbs, their dosage and duration of therapy should be determined by the doctor, since herbal medicine has a number of contraindications and, if used improperly, can harm the patient.
It is believed that natural medicines for sinusitis have a milder effect on the nasal mucosa than synthetic drugs, more effectively relieve inflammation and eliminate nasal congestion.
Many herbs contain volatile, which have antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. Most often, yarrow, chamomile, calendula, St. John's wort, peppermint, lemon balm and plantain are used to treat sinusitis.
In chronic sinusitis, when a purulent discharge does not form, St. John's wort broth is used for washing. For its preparation, 0.2 l of boiling water is poured 1 tbsp. spoon of dry grass, insist for 1 hour, then carefully filter.
Multicomponent herbal formulations may also be used. To do this, separate decoctions are prepared from chamomile (10 g), St. John's wort (15 g) and marsh cinnamon (10 g). In finished form, these decoctions are mixed immediately before the procedure.
For treatment, broad-spectrum antibiotics, vasoconstrictors, antihistamines (if sinusitis is caused by an allergy), as well as nasal lavage carried out at home can be prescribed.
With sinusitis, herbal decoctions are also used for inhalation. The method of preparation of the solution: 1 tbsp. a spoon of peppermint is mixed with the same amount of lemon balm and 2 tbsp. spoons of plantain perforated, the resulting mixture is poured into 0.5 liters of boiling water and infused for 20-30 minutes, after which it is brought to a boil. Immediately before the procedure, eucalyptus essential oil (2 drops) is added to the infusion. The duration of inhalation should not exceed 5 minutes.
To eliminate the symptoms of inflammation, it is recommended to use aloe juice (in the form of drops). The extract of this plant is part of some drugs used to treat sinusitis. 5 drops of the juice of the leaves of an adult plant are instilled into each nasal passage 3 times a day.
It is important to consider that traditional medicine cannot be the main tool for the treatment of acute form of maxillary sinusitis. In cases of increased body temperature, rinsing the nose and inhalation with herbal decoctions are contraindicated.
We offer you to watch a video on the topic of the article.
Symptoms and manifestations
An important indicator of the presence of sinusitis is purulent discharge from the nose, the presence of nasal congestion, severe headache (especially in the eyes, nose, can give to the ear) against a background of high body temperature (up to 38-39 ° C).
The most unpleasant thing is nasal congestion, which aggravates the patient’s condition, disrupts the quality of sleep, and reduces appetite and mood.
High-quality treatment prescribed after a thorough examination (clinical tests, nasal swabs, X-ray of the sinuses of the nose) contributes to a complete recovery. Often the inflammatory process goes into a chronic form, which proceeds against the background of sluggish symptoms. At the same time, patients are in no hurry to seek timely qualified medical help, which can lead to various complications.
After the diagnosis and collection of information, the otolaryngologist will tell you how to clean the sinuses, medications will prescribe the appropriate:
- antibacterial drugs (Amoxicillin, Ceftin),
- antifungal agents (if any),
- antihistamines (anti-allergic - “Cetrin”, “L cet”, “Loratodin” (inside), “Sanorin”, “Cromohexal”),
- painkillers (Nimesil, Ibuprofen),
- antipyretic ("Paracytamol"),
- corticosteroids (Beclomethasone, Hydrocortisone, Prednidazole),
- to relieve swelling of the mucosa - "Comtrex",
- drops of a vasoconstrictor ("Naphthyzin") and anti-inflammatory nature with antibacterial effect ("Ingalipt", "Pinosol", "Protargol", "Isofra"),
- antiseptic agents ("Chlorophyllipt", "Rotokan", "Miramistin"),
- herbal preparations of medicinal herbs for irrigation of the sinuses and ingestion,
- the use of essential oils
- sinus drainage with saline solution (Aqualor, Aquamoris),
- fortifying vitamin complexes ("Alphabet", "Vitrum"),
- compresses at normal body temperature,
- physiotherapeutic methods after removing the acute course of the disease,
- sanitation of the oral cavity, treatment of carious teeth after treatment.
However, the use of funds is recommended only after consulting a doctor.
In the matter of how to clean the sinuses, massage also helps well, and is also recommended by both therapists and pediatricians.
You can not warm up the region of the maxillary sinuses, especially during the acute course, when there is a high body temperature. This can lead to complications (purulent meningitis). Also, do not self-medicate!
Cleansing Procedure: Benefits
It is important to know how to clean your sinuses with sinusitis. After all, the complex treatment of this ailment must necessarily include salt flushing based on pharmacological preparations. At home, they can be prepared using table or sea salt. Many people ignore this procedure, do not perform it in the treatment of maxillary sinus inflammation, because they do not understand its full significance. Although in reviews this therapy is mentioned very often. People highly praise and recommend it.
Why is saline flushing so important? They have their advantages:
- safety (environmentally friendly product),
- high efficiency (can deeply penetrate the nasopharynx and sinuses),
- the solution contains minerals and iodine, which favorably affects the nasal mucosa,
- restores the mucous membrane and blood vessels,
- does not injure, has a gentle effect,
- relieves swelling
- promotes softening of the crusts in the nose, high-quality and quick cleansing (well “pulls” pus from the sinuses),
- cheap cost.
Interesting fact! The beneficial properties of salt were known in ancient India and actively used therapeutic procedures based on it. Yogis are called nasal washes jala neti.
How to rinse properly?
There are some requirements and recommendations for this procedure:
- Water temperature should be 37-42 ° С.
- The permissible norm is 1 tsp. for 1 stack. water (more salt can cause burns to the mucosa).
- Dissolve the salt completely in water (its crystals should not remain in the finished solution).
- Cleansing is carried out in the form of infusions 3 times / day (do not draw fluid into the nose).
- Procedures should be carried out regularly 3 times / day.
- Irrigation should be carried out after relieving congestion in 20 minutes (swelling is removed with vasoconstrictor drops).
- Use is recommended for children from 2 years of age (the amount of salt per glass of water should be slightly less than for an adult).
½ teaspoon can be added to the treatment solution. soda and 2-3 drops of iodine (has an antibacterial effect).
Reviews often describe the effectiveness of "special inhalation." We prepare a saline solution for it: add 1 tbsp. To 1 glass of water. l salt (you can add 2 drops of iodine). In it, you need to moisten a tissue napkin, squeeze it slightly (so that water does not flow) and apply it on your face. You need to breathe through your nose. Before the procedure, remove the swelling of the mucosa with the help of vasoconstrictor drops (spray).
Before using drugs, it is necessary to clean the nose of the formed mucus, crusts and pus. Only then can a quick positive effect be expected from the treatment of sinusitis. And it will take a shorter time to recover.
Therefore, washing should be carried out regularly and efficiently. Before the procedure, prepare a saline solution according to the recommendations for preparation: withstand the required dosage and temperature of the water. Then you can avoid trauma to the nasal mucosa. Preliminarily remove the edema: drip vasoconstrictor drops.
The purification procedure itself involves several steps, depending on the method. The first is especially praised in reviews. Because it allows you to carry out the treatment yourself at home and at any time. In addition, it does not cause discomfort.
Method number 1 (carried out at home):
- the patient leans over the sink, the head is turned so that one nostril is taller than the other and less blocked.
- gently inject the syringe with the prepared solution into the nasal passage not deep, so as not to injure the mucous membrane,
- saline fluid is injected under pressure into the nose, while it must pour out from the other nostril,
- we carry out similar actions from the other nostril,
- during the procedure, the patient should not talk and make different sounds,
- after the end of the cleansing procedure it is necessary to blow your nose well (first we release one nostril from the mucus, hold the second at the same time with your finger, we carry out similar actions with the other nostril).
After washing, you need to stay at home for a while. It is recommended at this moment to spend in bed about an hour (head should lie on a pillow).
Method number 2 (performed by an otolaryngologist in a medical institution):
- пациент ложится на кушетку, немного запрокидывает голову назад,
- an aspirator-suction of mucus is carefully inserted into the nostril, through which liquid is supplied under pressure,
- when the sinuses are filled with liquid, the patient should say a cu (the name of the procedure is “Cuckoo”),
- with a severely neglected form of the disease during washing, it is recommended to hold the second nostril briefly with your finger for better irrigation of the nasal canal.
In a severe inflammatory process with a large amount of pus, the doctor prescribes a puncture (puncture) to clean the maxillary sinuses and purulent contents are washed with antiseptic solutions.
In the question of how to clean your nose at home, herbs will help. For example, a huge number of positive reviews deserved a calendula. We take the proportions:
- dry calendula - 1 tbsp. l (without top)
- warm water - 1 cup.
Fill the calendula with boiling water, cover the container on top. After we leave for 15-20 minutes to insist. Then filter, let cool a little and you can rinse the nose, which is carried out according to the principle of saline cleansing. This procedure should be carried out after purification with salt liquid after 20 minutes. For washing, you can use chamomile (the same recommendations).
You can use a honey-herbal remedy to treat sinusitis, which will help cleanse and relieve inflammation of the mucous membranes. Drops are prepared in the following proportions:
- celandine - 4 g of crushed dry grass,
- aloe juice
- liquid bee honey (equal parts with juice).
We mix everything. We drip into the nose after washing with medical solutions after 18-24 minutes. (3 cap. 5 r / d).
Recipes of traditional healers mentioned in reviews
Very effective for inflammation are mixtures that healers actively used in villages. The items presented at this point are highly praised in the reviews.
Take 1 tbsp. l .:
- simple soap
- vegetable oil,
- onion juice
- Finely push the soap, heat until completely dissolved (use a water bath), remove from heat.
- Add honey, milk and butter, and hold on a little more over a fire, thoroughly mixing the mixture. Remove from the water bath. Then a spoonful of alcohol and onion juice.
- Pour the finished mixture into the prepared clean dishes, cool.
- Keep the mixture in a cool place.
- prepare cotton turunds (twisted cotton wool),
- dip in the finished mixture and insert into the nose passage for 12-15 minutes,
- the treatment procedure should be carried out after cleaning washes 30 minutes 2 times a day,
- treatment course - 21 days,
- it is advisable to administer the medicine in a warm form.