Elastic bands for braces are a material that is used in the treatment of intermaxillary defect, its price is quite low. Pathology cannot be fixed with one braces system, so doctors use orthodontic gums. An incorrect bite affects the oral cavity and a large load is placed on some teeth. It is important to begin treatment as early as childhood in order to timely resolve the problem.
Overview of Braces
Ugly teeth and a malocclusion lead to a person starting complexes.
They have many advantages and are effective in the treatment. Use cosmetic form of braces, they are almost invisible in the mouth. After the installation of braces, there may be a decrease in immunity, this is due to the fact that the body is getting used to them. Over time, increased sensitivity is possible.
Braces are installed for one reason: teeth do not grow evenly. Such bite changes will always be visible and adversely affect a person’s self-esteem. Correction can be difficult, rubber traction is used for it.
They have several functions:
- When using orthodontic gum correction is much faster.
- Traction is created, and this is the most important thing in fixing teeth.
- Proper extension of teeth in the right direction to change the bite.
If you worry that there may be contraindications, then this is not so. High-quality traction made of hypoallergenic material, therefore, do not cause an allergic reaction. You need to know that only an experienced orthodontist can install traction, do not try to do it yourself.
Elastics are easily fixed to the bracket system, you need to do it competently so as not to cause yourself discomfort. At first it will be difficult to get used to the excess object in the mouth, but over time it will become invisible, because it is flexible and convenient.
Why braces are needed
There are different types of orthodontic gums: they are different in thickness, diameter and length. The specialist determines which gum is suitable for a particular bite, and explains how to wait for the result and when it will appear. After some time, the necessary pressure may occur, in which case you have to turn to the orthodontist.
V-shaped - Helps to hold one tooth, and a triangle forms for a perfect bite.
Gum for box-type teeth are fixed in four places: bottom and top, so that a quadrangle is created. This method helps to correct the bite of several teeth at one time. Two types of elastic bands for braces are simultaneously used if a large curvature has occurred.
It is only necessary to select traction for braces with a doctor and individually for each person. The process of wearing braces is not a quick fix for your teeth. It is necessary to gain patience and strength, the result will surely surprise the patient.
Rules for the use of rubber bands
You can buy elastic for braces, both at the dentist and in the pharmacy kiosk. It is not worth it to try to cling to traction without authorization, this should be done by the attending physician. In the early days, discomfort can be observed, the elastic uses the force of tension to move the teeth to the desired position.
If the doctor did everything right, then negative manifestations should pass within a few days. But if a person feels that when chewing or opening his mouth the pain does not go away, you need to see a dentist, he will make rubber rings weaker.
So that the rods do not bring a negative result, it is worth observing the rules for wearing them:
- Braces must be worn all day; they can only be removed when eating or conducting hygiene procedures.
- Always have spare rods with you if suddenly the installed material is lost or torn.
- When one of the gum is lost, the remaining can not be worn, because it spoils the bite.
- If there is a weakening of the tension, you need to visit a doctor as soon as possible, he will replace the rings.
- When planning a trip, you need to consult a specialist about the case when the elastic for braces is lost, loses elasticity, or tears.
- No need to make your own decision about increasing the number of gum or vice versa reducing their number. This can drag out the time allotted to correct the bite.
- The rings must be removed if something happened to them, this will help to avoid a negative impact on the septenary row of teeth.
It is necessary to try to go to the dentist's appointment as often as possible, then he will be able to monitor the state of the elastic and, if necessary, will change it in time. For to put on elastic bands on braces, you need to find out the exact instructions from the doctor.
Why do we need elastic on dental braces?
Already in the second half treatment, when the teeth are in the correct position in the row, the doctor may prescribe wearing elastic. Rubber bands able to speed up treatment braces in problem areas, for example, move two adjacent teeth to each other, adjust the bite.
Types of Gum
The rods differ in thickness and diameter from each other. Depending on the strength 5 categories of intraoral traction:
- Very strong: moose, bull, antelope, ram - 6 oz / 170 gr.,
- Strong: zebra, bear, kangaroo, camel - 4,5 oz / 130 gr.,
- Medium Strong: rabbit, chipmunk, penguin, giraffe, llama, fox, donkey, monkey - 3.5 oz / 100 gr.,
- Medium: turtle, seal, beaver, dolphin - 3 oz / 85 gr.,
- The weak: owl, quail, parrot, hummingbird, peacock, ostrich, eagle, heron - 2 oz / 60 gr.
(Strength is indicated for stretching the elastic three times).
Extraoral traction presented in two categories:strong and weak. The traditional color of the elastics is white, so they are less noticeable in the patient's mouth. But there are colored traction: purple, orange, green. Sometimes people confuse ligatures, which come in a wide variety of colors and surround the lock of ligature braces and elastic.
Installation of rubber rods
First you need to choose a good specialist, so that there are no consequences after installing the rods. It is necessary to fix them correctly, and there are special rules for this. Firstly, there are special hooks to secure the traction to the braces, with their help, the thrust is fixed. They are installed on two jaws at once. Secondly, you need to install gum so as to distribute the force at which they will be stretched.
Braces are placed symmetrically on both sides of the teeth. This is necessary so that the jaw does its job correctly and the treatment is positive. Rubber traction should not interfere with opening the mouth.
After the procedure has passed, there should be no problems with eating. If the patient feels pain, it is worth reducing the elastic tension. Elastics should be worn until the desired result. The cost of the first rods should be included in the total amount of the installation, later, when they are unsuitable, the client must buy them himself. They need to be carried with them, they do not take up much space, the average price is about 150-200 apiece.
What is it and why are we needed
Bracket - a system, is a complex orthodontic apparatus, which includes several elements.
The system is designed so that by acting on the dentition with mechanical force, it changes the position of the teeth and puts them in the right place, thus giving the bite the correct shape.
Plates that are called braces are attached to the teeth. Then they connect to the arc and communicate with each other with special devices.
To connect the individual elements of the orthodontic unit, gum is required, which can still be called elastics (these concepts are identical). The treatment is long, it contains many stages.
Extraoral traction applied with accessories: facial mask, facial arch.
Such medical devices are combined with the wearing of braces. Extraoral gums are strong and weak.
Erasers, which serve to connect the elements of the orthodontic apparatus together, are made in the form of rings or chains made of elastic but durable material. There are many varieties of elastic devices. They are distinguished by parameters:
The material for the manufacture of elastics is used in high quality, absolutely safe, hypoallergenic, soft and does not cause mechanical damage to teeth or gums.
Traction are a necessary complement to braces. With these elements, it is possible to create an additional necessary load on the dentition, which greatly speeds up the process of correcting the bite.
With traction jaw connection is durable. At the same time, it does not interfere with the movements of the lower jaw, does not cause serious discomfort when eating or talking.
If the gum is correctly fixed, the tension is adjusted and balanced on both sides, patients quickly forget about finding such a foreign body in their mouth.
The disadvantage of elastics is a decrease in elasticity during operation, since they have constant, strong loads. As a result, gum ceases to participate in occlusion correction.
Modern methods of tooth alignment are orthodontic constructions and surgical intervention.
Read reviews about Alexander braces here.
They look like a volumetric and elastic ring. They can be of different sizes in diameter, and also differ in thickness and elasticity. Elements for intraoral and extraoral use are produced. They are selected by the dentist, depending on the individual characteristics and the degree of abnormality of the dentition.
Elements are needed to pull improperly positioned teeth to the right place and to grip the jaws together. Used only after the expiration of the first half of the main treatment.
Traction can guide the jaw, that is, give the orthodontic device extra effort, which speeds up the correction of the defect.
Perhaps these are the only rubber bands used in braces, for the installation of which you can not contact a specialist if they are stretched out, began to poorly fulfill their purpose, or are torn.
The patient will be able to replace such rings independently, after training under the supervision of an orthodontist.
The video shows elastic traction for correcting malocclusion.
The orthodontic appliance incorporates an arc that holds the braces in the correct position to prevent it from slipping and to maintain the correct position.
Such devices may be represented:
- rubber rings
- thin metal wire of silver, steel or aluminum.
The task of the ligatures is to fasten the braces in an inextricable row, "ligare"Translated from Latin" to bind. "
When creating elastic elements for braces, manufacturers made them transparent for less noticeability. But due to meals, the ligatures pretty soon acquire a yellowish or brown hue.
It is because of this that many prefer colored ligatures. The variety of shades is huge, they are often made white. Especially in demand are such elastics among young people, who are attracted to wearing colored ligatures.
Thanks to this, the bite correction system does not look so ugly anymore, and even decorates teeth. Older people mostly prefer transparent ligatures.
Periodically, ligatures have to be changed, because they tend to stretch. Typically, such changes are made by the doctor every month.
If the gum breaks, you need to visit the dentist unscheduled for a replacement.
Often used by specialists:
- to change the position of an individual tooth or groups of teeth,
- to eliminate the gaps between the teeth,
- for consolidation of dentitions.
Chains made of elastic material are available on coils in various colors. The standard length is 4 m.
Transparent and gray chains are made:
- Without a gap. Applicable when there are no gaps between the braces or teeth or they are minimal, also on small teeth (for example, lower jaw incisors) and when it is necessary to create significant traction.
- With an average step. Suitable for teeth or three in between, having normal sizes. Creates a moderate effort.
- With a wide step. Of all the chains, they have the very weak strength of elasticity. Used when the patient has large teeth or with a significant distance between the braces.
Colored elastic chains are presented in only two varieties - without gaps, and with an average pitch. The chain links around the brackets or on the hook elements are fixed.
The doctor decides what chain to choose based on his experience and preferences. This type of elastic fastener is more resistant to rapid loss of traction among all others.
How to wear gum, how to put traction in your mouth
In order to wear elastic for braces at home, you need to carefully monitor how the doctor did it. The first time a doctor puts on gum and will explain the scheme of further wearing. Then, to repeat these steps, you need to stand in front of the mirror, take one new rubber band from the package and remember the wearing pattern. Then attach the rubber ring to the bracket bracket.
Reference. Convenient to fasten first onto the upper bracket bracket, then onto the lower bracket.
Next, they check to see if the elastic has flown off. Some are more comfortable wearing gum with tweezers or a hook. Then, putting on a ring on one side of the jaw, it is necessary to fix it on the other - the principle of the location of the rods in the mouth.
What method of attachment to use for the full effect of bite correction should be decided by the attending dentist, focusing on the individual characteristics of the patient’s oral cavity.
There are only two mounting options:
- V-shaped, looks like a tick. It is attached either to the two lower and one upper teeth, or vice versa (one lower and two upper). This method aligns only two teeth in the neighborhood.
- Box-shaped, visually resembles a rectangle or square. Elastic gum clings to two teeth on the upper jaw and the same on the lower, thus, fastening both dentitions and facilitating their complete movement.
In some cases, you need to use two methods at the same time. This usually happens when the teeth are too uneven and more effort is needed to straighten.
Depending on the production, the effect of the elastic can weaken already after three hours of wearing. How often gum needs to be changed depends on the doctor’s appointment.
Every month new thrusts are written out and issued at the reception. At home, they must also be changed according to the scheme of the treating orthodontist.
Appointment Options: change 1 time in 12 hours, 1 time per day. If the draft is broken, then you need to replace both gum left and right for symmetry.
How to wear: fastening schemes
- To fix the elastic bands on the braces special hooks. With their help, the thrust is fixed on the structure. Elastics are worn simultaneously on both jaws.
- A prerequisite for installing rubber bands is proper distribution of the tension force.
- Elastics dress symmetrically on both sides of the oral cavity. This is necessary so that the jaw works in the right direction, and the treatment of malocclusion is correct.
- Bracket mounted parts, should not create an obstacle when opening the mouth.
Link is attached to the lock on the bracket on both sides of the jaw. It does not come into contact with the gums and has a weakened extension to both rows of teeth. To obtain the maximum effect of the joint work of rubber rods for braces and brackets themselves, in orthodontics use two ways to attach elastic:
- Box-shaped - contraction of indivisible tooth blocks. The result is a square shape. This method helps to direct the teeth to the desired position with the whole body.
Photo 1. Box mount elastic. The elastic is fixed on the braces of the brackets in a square shape.
Attention! To establish an elastic for tightening one tooth or the whole block is determined by the attending dentist. With severe malocclusion complex movement of the jaw is required.
Wearing rules. Recommendations
The main function in correcting malocclusions or individual teeth is the bracket system as a whole, and the gums perform an additional or auxiliary role.
In order for the final result to please, and the terms of wearing braces do not lengthen, you need to follow a few rules:
- It is forbidden to independently adjust the degree of elastic tension, since even a small bias will not only make the procedure useless, but can also worsen the initial situation. If necessary, you should contact the orthodontist, who will do it himself, if he considers it necessary.
- The patient can change the gum himself. However, removing them is permissible only in some cases, for example, for eating or hygienic procedures, but after the permission of the doctor.
- You need to have spare rubber bands with you., in case the gums on the teeth become unusable, accidentally tear or weaken.
- Elastics cannot be removed on their own before the end of the treatment period, без особых указаний лечащего ортодонта.
- The patient usually feels discomfort only in the first days. If the discomfort does not go away even after a week of wearing and pain occurs, then you should contact your dentist.
- Without the permission of a doctor, you can’t increase or, conversely, reduce the amount of elastic, even with caution, this will not help, but will do harm.
If you choose a good clinic, purchase high-quality materials, impeccably follow the recommendations of a specialist and follow all the rules, then there is nothing to fear, and after treatment you can be proud of your dazzling smile.
Design features of Marquis braces, their advantages and disadvantages.
In this publication you can evaluate the result of treatment with Pilot braces using the before and after photos.
Terms of operation
The timing of wearing gum is determined by the timing of orthodontic treatment and, of course, the degree of malocclusion or individual teeth. Such terms can only be set by the attending physician.
It must be remembered that orthodontic treatment is a long process - from 6 months to 2.5 years. The ligature type gum is designed to hold the guide arc on the braces and not allow it to move, so their use will last as long as the bracket system itself will be on the teeth.
The rods have a slightly different purpose. They are used to strengthen in the process of stretching the teeth and setting them in an anatomical position. Therefore, they are necessary only for a certain period.
The cost of gum when prescribing orthodontic treatment is initially taken into account. But the gum has to be changed periodically, because they wear out and stretch, and may break. It is advisable to always have them with you.
But since elastics are consumables, their prices are low. They can be purchased at the dental clinic - there the price will be the highest.
In the pharmacy they are sold at a lower cost. The cheapest purchase of rubber bands will cost in online stores. The average cost is from 60 to 150 rubles. for 100 pieces.
See how to wear orthodontic elastics in the video.
Bite correction is a popular procedure, especially among young people, therefore there are a lot of reviews about this technique. There are few complaints about ligature type gum that hold the arc in place. They quickly get used to them and subsequently do not notice the presence in the oral cavity.
But the use of rods, at first causes more discomfort or even pain. Here you need the help of a doctor who will adjust the tension.
If you have encountered such a procedure and had experience dealing with elastic bands for braces, or maybe you know how to bleach the elastic bands if they are darkened or yellowed? How much did you need to wear elastic on braces and how often did you have to change them? Leave your feedback in the comments section.
If you find an error, please select a piece of text and press Ctrl + Enter.
Why do you need elastic on braces?
Each type of elastic ring has its own purpose, but in general, their function is to create additional pressure on the problem area. An important advantage of gum, in comparison with other devices, is the absence of negative effects on the mucous membranes of the oral cavity and tooth enamel. By purpose, they can be divided into three categories: ligatures, chains and thrusts.
- Ligatures for braces are used already at the time of installation of the ligature braces system. They combine into a single unit the plates fixed on the teeth and the arc itself, rigidly fixing it in the grooves. With the planned activation of braces, the orthodontist, along with a lift or replacement of the arc, changes the elastic ligatures. Usually this happens every 3-4 weeks, but sometimes it is necessary to update the rings much more often if they quickly stretch and lose their functionality.
- Patients with trams (gaps between the same upper and lower teeth) and diastema (a dent between the central incisors) put on chains on braces. Several elastics are combined into a chain, connecting them closely or through an elastic band located between them. The rings are fixed on separate plates located in the problem area so that they create traction that brings the teeth together. Chains also need timely replacement, and the interval between elastics should be constantly reduced.
Ligatures and chains are set only by the orthodontist and do not deliver special additional discomfort to his patients, which cannot be said about intermaxillary elastic for braces, worn on the teeth for bite correction with ceramic turn-key braces. It is worth telling more about them.
Draft for braces - for the formation of bite and interdental contacts
This is the only kind of rubber bands that the “brackets” will have to learn to wear on their own. Rods are put on the teeth of different jaws about the fourth to fifth month from the beginning of correction to form the correct bite and achieve their tight closure. Their role is to create a controlled complementary effort. What is it for?
- Before treatment, the teeth of the upper and lower jaws occupied a certain position relative to each other, so that a person could chew and grind food qualitatively.
- Under the influence of the arc traction, the teeth begin to line up in an even row, and the contacts formed between them are destroyed as a result.
- To teeth do not disperse too much, they put on rubber traction. Of course, their tension is selected so that the patient can open his mouth, talk normally, chew and swallow, without experiencing very unpleasant symptoms. Nevertheless, one will have to get used to them, since sensations can sometimes be compared with those that arise when the orthodontic arch is activated.
Gum Wear Recommendations
Experts say that it is not necessary to arbitrarily take traction for braces if a person has not had business with them before. There is a risk of picking up the wrong size or defective product.
- At first, there may be severe pain, it is recommended to drink an anesthetic, but if the symptom persists, you should consult a doctor.
- You need to wear them during the entire treatment, take off is allowed only while eating and when brushing your teeth. In some cases, they are prescribed by a specialist at the beginning or at the end of therapy.
- Need to always keep spare rubber bands at homein the event that a quick change is necessary in case of loss or damage to the orthodontic appliance.
- The main thing, so that in the oral cavity there is the right amount of pulls for braces, and they must be exactly located, as the dentist said. You do not need to add extra ones, this can harm the treatment.
- Do not move braces for other teethThere may be malocclusion, which will aggravate the situation.
- So that there is no yellowing of the rods, you should not drink such drinks that will color the gum.
- Elastics need to be changed once a month, the exact time should be prescribed by the attending physician. It is forbidden not to come for an examination, weakening may occur, and the therapy that has taken place will not bring any result.
- With a dental hygiene procedure, it is worth using specialized brushes, they will be able to qualitatively clean the bacteria that have arisen, to remove traces of the remaining food. This action does no harm to the elastic.
- Need to purchase only high quality materialIt will prevent quick stretching. If the patient wants to save money, he may start an allergy due to poor cravings.
Elastic bands for braces exist in different colors, there can be several types of patterns. When the bracket system is removed, the doctor may leave the inner plate, and traction is applied for another six months. This is necessary in order to consolidate the result of treatment.
Sensations after installation
Do not worry if, after installing the rubber bands, you have unpleasant sensations. This is normal, because the adjustment of the teeth begins, the pressure leads to pain. It is important during the treatment, it was convenient to talk and eat food. This discomfort should disappear in a couple of days.
If the pain from the braces does not go away for a long time, you should consult a specialist as soon as possible, most likely you need to weaken the cravings.
Adaptation can take up to two weeks, regular replacement of orthodontic gum should be performed. Without the permission of the doctor, do not remove the elastic; they are worn around the clock. How much gum to wear depends on the complexity of the bite, as well as on the speed of correction of the defect.
How to put elastic on braces yourself - video
A step-by-step master class on how to properly put on rubber traction on the bracket system.
Elastic bands for braces can improve bite in children and adults, their use is safe. The quality of the rods for braces must meet the standards, then there will be no allergic reaction. Erasers are convenient to use, over time, a person will forget that they are installed in the oral cavity. Gum needs to be changed once a month, or when they break and stretch. It is recommended to regularly undergo a scheduled examination with a specialist.