If you want to be recognized and remembered as a vocalist - first decide on the style of performance. To do this, remember your favorite singers of different directions - rock, jazz, pop, soul - and try to sing in the same way. In what style do you feel the most complete emancipation?
Take a look at the images of the great soloists and analyze each of them in detail: for example, Amy Winehouse, Paul McCartney, Tina Turner. It is important to study the full repertoire of each artist - so you can feel his style and all the shades of sound. Perhaps you will like several options at once or, conversely, one style will be replaced by another. This is normal, because finding your own style is a whole adventure. After you decide on the style, find a teacher who will reveal the uniqueness of your voice and teach you to sing in the chosen style.
Step two: find a teacher
If you want to sing professionally - find a vocal teacher. The teacher will teach you diction, proper breathing, a sense of rhythm, phrasing, improvisation. It will help to develop a personal repertoire, smooth registers and expand the range.
The mentor will also become your “critical listener” and tell you how to improve the performance - even if it seems perfect to you.
A good teacher is a person who loves his work forever and is constantly developing in this direction. In my work, I try to avoid patterns and pay great attention to the individuality of each student. I do not learn to sing under the carbon paper, but try to reveal in students what nature has gifted them
Remember that the teacher must be competent in your chosen style and share your desire to develop in it. For example, if you chose to sing jazz, then your teacher should love this direction: to know and feel its subtleties, techniques and techniques, immerse you in the history of jazz and analyze the work of jazz musicians. Such a teacher must have trained many worthy jazz vocalists.
Do not forget to fix your feelings after vocal lessons: if the teacher managed to inspire you, then you have chosen the right teacher. After all, it is inspiration that helps move forward to the dream.
Step Three: Solfeggio
Solfeggio is the discipline that is needed to develop musical ear, a sense of rhythm and pure intonation. This is a tool that will give you a number of advantages: for example, single-voice and multi-voice exercises will improve harmonious hearing, your perception of music will become more sensitive, and the performance of songs more accurate, as you learn to hear intervals and half-tones.
You can sing cleanly without solfeggio classes, but it is this instrument that distinguishes amateurs from professionals. Solfeggio is especially useful for those who want to not only play their favorite songs, but also improvise and write their own: thanks to the acquired skills, you can easily record an invented melody and pick up accompaniment to it.
Step Four: Work on Artistry
If you have already learned vocals and want to shine on the stage - get into the issue of artistry. To be liberated in front of the audience and not to be shy to live a song on stage, take acting lessons. For a successful singer, this is important: the audience must feel the song, and one way to hook the audience is to convey their emotions through the performance.
Pay attention to choreography as well - dancing lessons will help you stay on stage confidently. You don’t need to have a signature dance, like Michael Jackson’s, but moving beautifully on stage is an esthetically important vocalist skill.
Step Five: Practice, Practice, Practice
As with any business, mastery comes with practice. Sing as much as possible: record videos for social networks, perform on stage and in front of friends.
If you are ready to move on, take part in music competitions and festivals. Performing when you are judged is much more difficult, but thanks to this experience, the performers get rid of the stage fear and begin to enjoy the performances.
Competitions also help keep track of your professional growth and inner feelings. Remember that everyone — whether slow or fast — has progress, but without practice it is impossible to capture and track it.
Let's repeat how to learn to sing professionally:
- Choose a style
- Find a teacher,
- Learn solfeggio,
- Take acting and dance lessons,
- Practice as often as possible.
The healing power of vocals
Since the time of ancient civilizations, it is known that singing not only allows you to get positive emotions, but also has a beneficial effect on the health of the singer. So, it has long been noticed that the sound frequencies caused by the singing of pregnant women positively affect the brain of the fetus and activate the intrauterine development of the child. In addition, while singing, our body produces a substance such as endorphin, which contributes to a good mood, increases vitality and causes a feeling of euphoria. Finally, singing trains our lungs well, improves blood circulation throughout the body, and corrects speech defects.
That is why many people wonder how to learn to sing at home and is it possible to sing well without these talents. In short, then: everyone can learn singing today and have special abilities in order to sing beautifully, it is absolutely not necessary. Especially if it’s not about opera singing, where really, you can’t do without outstanding vocal data and musical ear, but about the ability to express your feelings using a song, while doing this not only at home, but also in the company of friends at a picnic or at the karaoke bar.
And in order to make sure that, as they say, it’s not the gods who burn the pots, it’s enough to look at our stage, where 90% of the so-called singers and singers do not just not know how to sing beautifully, but categorically do not want to learn how to appear to an outside observer. Therefore, you should not be afraid and discard all prejudices, take up the matter on your own, since not everyone can afford to hire a singing tutor, and there is no special need for this.
How to learn to sing at home?
It is immediately worth noting that for a modern person, the task of learning to sing at home has greatly simplified technical progress. It is, first of all, about karaoke, unprofessional singing using an electronic device that allows you to sing songs to pre-written music. Moreover, in recent years, the possibilities of karaoke have expanded significantly and you can learn to sing more or less beautifully without leaving your home.
We will not dwell on the peculiarities of singing under karaoke, since everyone who was thinking how to learn to sing at home, probably tried his hand using this method. It is much more important to focus on proper breathing and articulation while singing and to follow a certain sequence of actions, choosing first simpler songs for your exercises. Here are just a few recommendations, following which you will most likely succeed in your desire to learn to sing:
- At the first stage, just getting into the notes is enough. It will be better if you just mumble without opening your mouth in unison with the melody. The main thing here is to get into the notes, making sure that the sounds you make merge with the melody made by musical instruments. If you have a tuning fork at home, then train to produce sounds that would completely repeat its sound. It’s worth repeating such exercises until it seems to you that the sounds of the tuning fork and the lowing you are making are one.
- Choosing compositions for exercises is based not only on your musical preferences, but also taking into account the tonality of the original performance, so that you can easily copy the singing of a professional artist. Obviously, especially at first, it will be quite difficult for you to repeat the sound in too wide a range. That is why it would be nice to start with children's songs, which, as a rule, allow the vocal cords to work without tension, due to their simplicity and understandable melody. Switching to your favorite songs is advisable after mastering the children's repertoire. You can objectively evaluate your vocal data by recording your home singing on a sound recorder, and comparing the result with the original. You need to understand that a person simply does not hear himself during execution, and only in the recording you can highlight all the errors and try to correct them.
- Learning vocals at home will help with proper breathing. It should be silent, short-lived and, at the same time, sufficiently energetic. It should be remembered that singing requires the inhalation of air through the nose with the use of the abdomen, and not the chest, otherwise you will simply suffocate. In addition, you need to learn how to exhale air not immediately, but gradually, as one who sings beautifully must constantly maintain the necessary volume and power of sound. Otherwise, even if you have good vocal data, it’s not possible to sing well enough due to the loss of the required amount of air on the exhale and the sound will not reach the necessary tonality and volume. Therefore, if you are thinking about the conditions of how to learn to sing at home, then it is absolutely necessary to learn how to breathe with your stomach. It is this so-called diaphragmatic breathing that is given the greatest attention during professional vocals, which means that proper attention should be paid to proper breathing at home. Imagine how air from the lower part of the lungs begins to press on the diaphragm from below, as if pushing it out or creating support for it. It is such a breathing by the stomach that makes it possible to reproduce quite long and voluminous sounds that allow us to conclude that a person sings well. Learn to breathe in the abs, without gaining air in your chest, and repeat exercises at home by inhaling and exhaling with effort several times a day, which, ultimately, will strengthen your diaphragm, which should become elastic and strong. The regular exercises for the press will also be relevant, which will allow not only to sing songs beautifully, but also maintain overall good physical shape. Having trained diaphragmatic breathing at home, you will be able to sing even in the most complex key, and you can surprise others with the power of your voice, even if you previously had doubts about your vocal abilities.
- To make your voice beautiful and melodic at home will help as clear and exaggerated articulation as possible, for which you should constantly train at home to get rid of tension in the throat and be able to relax the vocal cords. The easiest way is tongue twisters, as an indispensable element of training a clear and distinct diction at home. Agree that owning even a beautiful and strong voice can completely ruin the “swallowing” of the end of phrases, and, moreover, the slurred pronunciation of the text. The song makes sense of this, especially if you understand its language. It is very useful when singing at home to sing in front of a mirror, observing the position of the muscles of the face and its facial expressions, which will make it possible to remember the so-called “vocal mask” and then easily play it automatically. There are a number of different exercises to develop articulation. For example, holding a thick pencil in your teeth, try to clearly and clearly sing the text. It’s more accurate to say it, because you won’t be able to demonstrate singing the first time. Such a training for the muscles of the tongue is quite accessible at home and should be repeated until your tongue is completely tired.
- Many professional singers are engaged in the Strelnikova breathing gymnastics system, which consists in exercises to sharply and intensively inhale air using the nose, while exhaling is performed by the mouth, as quietly and imperceptibly as possible. When practicing vocal at home, it’s useful to practice chanting familiar to all, when simple syllables with changing vowels are loudly pronounced. At the same time, you can lean forward while simultaneously pressing on the press with your hand. It is important that such home workouts are of a permanent nature, which will allow us to develop automatism in movements and strengthen the vocal cords and muscles involved in the process of singing.
- Particular attention should be paid to the development of musical ear, for which you can take advantage of special programs, which are more than enough on the Internet. As a rule, training consists in comparing and defining different notes and playing rhythmic elements. You just need to believe in yourself and constant training at home will definitely bring results. The lack of ear for music is not a sentence at all, and over time, after special vocal exercises (solfeggio), you will learn to distinguish between different notes, but this is achieved through long and hard training. Therefore, the question of how to learn to sing beautifully at home can be answered as follows - to work and work again.
- Try to get rid of embarrassment, because you want to sing not only at home in front of the mirror, but also surrounded by other people. To overcome their complexes, it will be useful to visit some karaoke bar where you can find many like-minded people.
The song helps us to build and live
This phrase from a popular Soviet song from an equally popular feature film of those distant times has not lost its relevance now. Music brings people together and makes them kinder. A good performance penetrates deep into the human mind, makes you forget about the gray routine, raises morale, awakens pleasant memories and pleasantly relaxes. Often, mothers sing songs for the night to their newborn babies, and they remain in our subconscious for the rest of our lives.
In the exercises used by professional and novice vocalists, there is no complicated or unusual technique. All these trainings and practices have often been encountered by you in many other classes. The most important component of their successful result lies in regular repetition every day. Only in this way can one unlearn from old bad habits in speech from scratch at home, which impede the construction of a pleasant voice and rhythm.
- Development of techniques for fast and silent breathingwhich will not bring you down while singing. Accustom yourself to inhale and exhale solely with your nose, transferring the load from the chest to the stomach in the process. So, the air flow in the body will pass by the mouth, practically without changing the voice timbre.
- To make your voice less rude practice singing every musical note, preferably under her audio recording. Strive to ensure that your performance is minimally different from electronic sound. After some time, you will notice that the vocal cords have adapted to smoother transitions from high to low sounds, making the voice much more melodic.
- A good way to practice diction is in the clear pronunciation of compound sentences and phrases. A classic example is a tongue twister, where a combination of similar consonants significantly “hones the tongue” during repeated repetition.
- Speaking of ear for music, its development is naturally connected with regular listening to various tracks and compositions. It is advisable to find the works in the highest possible quality and get acquainted with the process of their creation, if possible. Practice listening to different genres and styles of music to more accurately learn to distinguish their features.
- Record Your Singing Workouts to high-quality devices in order to be able to constantly monitor their progress and correct errors. From the side, our voice is heard completely differently than to its owner, because many of its defects, such as excessive volume and rudeness, often remain unknown without such practice. Also, as an option, you can invite a friend of your friend to listen and evaluate your attempts. Especially if he himself is associated with musical or pop activity.
If you observe a tendency towards a certain direction of music and singing, you can after some time practice cover versions (original compositions performed by third-party musicians or bands) of the most interesting songs. Carefully study the singer’s performance style, including pauses, intonations, and transitions. Try yourself or with a friend to record your version on the recorder and compare the final result with the original. Do not expect success in a short time, because the main goal of this exercise is to learn from the professionals and pop stars, to learn how to use your voice as well as they do.
However, daily training does not mean that you need to mercilessly overload yourself at any time. Если чувствуете себя уставшим или выбитым из сил, дайте себе отдых, ведь излишняя нагрузка на горло и голосовые связки не приведёт ни к чему хорошему. Также, не следует налегать на длительные тренировки в случае простуды. Позвольте себе поправиться и лишь после этого вновь приступайте к стабильным упражнениям.This advice is especially relevant in the autumn and winter periods, when it is very easy to catch an infection or a cold in the throat.
Work with specialists
The modern world offers many ways and opportunities to develop the talent to sing professionally, not only at home, but also under the supervision of teachers who understand the basics of skillful vocals. MuzShock School teaches men and women aged 4 to 74 years many of the intricacies of the musical arts. Our professional vocal tutor in Minsk invites you to individual and group classes for performing songs of various genres.