Tell me, is it possible to somehow speed up the Internet on a laptop? I am connected via a Wi-Fi connection, the provider promised a speed of 50 Mbps - but in reality everything loads very slowly. I turned to the Internet service provider - they checked the network, and said that everything was fine on their side, look for the problem at home. I myself did not find it, but in order to call specialists from the provider I need to pay them (and, I would even say, it is not sour.).
You wrote "slowly" - and this concept is very extensible. For someone, upload a movie in 10 min. - it's slow, you need 2 за. But in general, in general, the problem is quite popular, and in this article I will describe the main ways and points that need to be checked, and which, in the end, will somewhat speed up your connection. So.
To help with this article.
Ways to Speed Up Internet on Windows
Change provider / tariff plan
This advice does not apply to optimization and tuning, but nonetheless.
Of course, one of the most effective ways to increase the speed of the Internet is to change the tariff plan of your connection (or even change the provider itself). Moreover, now in most cities the Internet connection is free, several providers are available and there is always a choice (perhaps, only those who are hostage in small regional centers where there are practically no alternatives are held hostage).
Note: by the way, if you decide to change the provider, I recommend asking around for neighbors - this is how you can evaluate the real speed and quality of Internet services (and choose the best option for your particular home).
Configure Internet Channel Reservation
Windows by default can limit your Internet bandwidth to 20%! Naturally, this can seriously affect the download speed, and therefore it would be nice to disable this reservation. How to do it?
You must open the Group Policy Editor. To open it - press a combination of buttons WIN + R enter command gpedit.msc open the line and click Enter . The method is relevant for Windows XP / 7/8/10.
gpedit.msc - Group Policy Editor
Note! If you have a home (or initial) version of Windows - most likely, you will not open the Group Policy Editor, giving an error: "Cannot find gpedit.msc. Verify the name is correct and try again" . In this case, there are two ways out: either change the version of Windows, or install this editor (there are tricky ways on the Internet how to do this).
Next, open the branch: "Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> QoS Packet Scheduler" . After, on the right, open the parameter Limit Reserved Bandwidth (see screen below).
Local Group Policy Editor / Windows 7
In the window that opens, switch the slider to Enable and put a restriction in 0% (as in the screenshot below). Save the settings and restart the computer. Now the restriction should be removed.
Limit reserved bandwidth to 0
Optimize your system, fix bugs, clean from debris
I think that it’s no secret to anyone that the speed of the Internet, and indeed in general all your activities for a PC, also depends on the optimization of the system. I'm not talking about the fact that all sorts of garbage (old and broken shortcuts, remaining tails from long-deleted programs, erroneous registry entries, etc.) can "make" your computer slow down.
For auto-optimization and cleaning the system from this "good", I recommend a couple of utilities below.
An excellent utility that solves immediately dozens of the most popular tasks: removes spyware, cleans the registry, deletes garbage, speeds up the Internet, fixes shortcuts, defragments a disk, etc. In just a dozen minutes, you will get a completely clean and optimized system by pressing 1-2 buttons at the same time!
Advanced SystemCare - cleaning and optimization section
Free very effective utility to clean your system. It works quickly, safely and without unnecessary troubles. In addition to cleaning, there are modules for optimizing the registry, forcibly removing programs, and analyzing system performance. Fully translated into Russian.
Garbage removal in CCleaner
In addition, I recommend that you also read two more of my articles on Windows optimization, the links are listed below.
Are there any other applications that load the network
Also quite often, many users do not even guess which applications they use their Internet channel. It is possible that the Internet speed is low in your current program due to the fact that the entire channel is occupied by some other process that you do not even know about!
For full control over the network, I recommend using a special utility NetLimiter (in principle, she has many analogues, you can use something else).
A simple and reliable application for Internet control. Allows you to see all the programs that use the Internet channel. Having defined all unnecessary - you can block or disable these applications. Thus, the Internet channel will be freed for your current tasks.
NetLimiter - traffic control application
You can also partially estimate the network load in task manager (This is especially evident in Windows 10, in Windows 7 - open the resource monitor). An example is shown in the screenshot below.
Windows 10 task manager - minimal network load
The download application is not configured (e.g. uTorrent)
Not so long ago, I helped a friend who complained that he had too long file downloads. Imagine my surprise when in uTorrent (and he downloaded them through this program) I found the set speed limit! Because of such trifles and carelessness, sometimes, you have to wait for hours to download.
The message here is simple: be sure to check the settings of the application in which you download the file (and in which you are unhappy with the speed of the Internet). It is possible that there is a limitation in the settings!
If you touch uTorrent (as one of the most popular download programs), then open the program settings and check the tab "Speed" (Speed). It sets the speed limit for downloading and uploads. Set your values based on the tasks and power of the PC.
Also check the tab Traffic Limit - If you do not have an unlimited Internet connection, then it can be very useful.
(If you have enabled and set a certain traffic limit, then having reached it, uTorrent will stop transferring files)
By the way, if the question concerns uTorrent, then I recommend that you also read another article:
Why uTorrent downloads at low speed: torrents load for a very long time. - https://ocomp.info/utorrent-kachaet-s-mal-skorostyu.html
Using turbo modes in browsers
If you slowly open Internet pages in your browser, slows down online video, etc., then I recommend trying the turbo mode (available in some browsers: Opera, Yandex browser, etc.).
Turbo mode in Yandex browser
Turbo mode allows you to compress heavy pages before loading them, due to which pages start loading faster. In general, this makes sense when connecting slowly to the network.
In addition, you can try using browsers with low system requirements. The functionality of them is a bit cut, but they work very quickly! Link to the article below.
Update drivers on a network adapter
In general, drivers are an insidious thing, sometimes you have to spend a lot of time until you configure everything properly.
If you touch the network adapter, then there may be a couple of options:
- you do not have a driver for the network card - as a rule, in this case you will not have the Internet (at all!). Here, I think, it’s clear what to do - download and update the driver,
- Windows automatically picked up and installed the driver: in this case, the network will work (and in most cases you don’t even need to do anything else). But it also happens that an adapter with these drivers does not work as fast as it could with native optimized drivers. Therefore, it is highly desirable (when you are not happy with the speed of the Internet) to download and update the driver from the official site of the device. For example, I came across several times that after updating the driver - the network speed increased 3-4 times!
How to install, update or remove the Wi-Fi driver (wireless network adapter) - https://ocomp.info/kak-ustanovit-drayver-na-adapter-wi-fi.html
Bad connection to the server, where files are downloaded from
I think that many who have been playing network computer games for a long time have come across more than once or twice that on one specific server his game slows down, and on the other - everything is fine. The point here is that with different servers - different connection quality.
And it is quite possible that you have a low file download speed because there is poor communication with a specific server. This happens all the time. Try downloading your files from other resources.
Alternatively, you can use torrents - if the file is popular, then the download will go from many sources, and will reach the highest possible speed for you.
Amplify the signal, configure the router (for those who have a Wi-Fi network)
If you have a router at home, a Wi-Fi network is configured, and you access the Internet using it, that is, there are a number of important things that you need to pay attention to: the location of the router and laptop (phone), channel settings, whether network protection is configured, etc. I spoke about all these subtleties in one of my articles:
Ways to amplify a Wi-Fi signal - improving reception and increasing the radius of the network at home - https://ocomp.info/kak-usilit-signal-wi-fi.html
As a result, having completed these activities, the speed in your Wi-Fi network will increase, which means that the Internet will work faster.
Perhaps your processor / hard drive is slow
And, probably, the last thing I wanted to dwell on in this article.
The fact is that it’s possible that it’s not the Internet that slows you down, but, let's say, a hard drive. Because of this, the same uTorrent automatically resets download speed, waiting for the load on the hard drive to decrease. When it returns to normal - the download speed increases, if the load on the disk reaches large values again - uTorrent again resets it (and so, in a circle).
Therefore, I recommend you open Task Manager (press Ctrl + Alt + Del), and see if there is a high disk load - i.e. > 30-50%. If there is, define the applications and close them (if, these are not system processes).
Hard disk load
Also check out a couple more articles for more information and a solution to the problem.
If you managed to speed up your Internet connection in another way, I will be grateful for a couple of lines in the comments.
Check internet connection speed
To check the speed, there are a huge number of online services (just enter the section title in the search engine).
They all work on approximately the same algorithm. We will analyze the most popular of them.
- After loading the page, click the big yellow button in the center with the inscription “START”.
- After that, the speed check to the nearest server will begin, you will see: ping to the nearest server, download speed (download), download speed (upload).
- After receiving the results, it will be possible to change the server to which the packages were sent to receive the results and pass the test again by clicking on the same button, or share the data on social networks.
Disabling speed limits on Windows
The first point of home Internet speed increase will be the removal of standard Winows restrictions. By default, 20% of the speed your OS automatically reserves for the communication channel.
- Using the Win + R key combination, we open the dialog box.
- The “gpedit.msc” command opens the computer configuration.
- Follow the path Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates> Network> QoS Packet Scheduler> Limit Reserved Bandwidth.
- In the window that opens, we find the dialog box “Not set / Enabled / Disabled” and set it to “Disabled”.
Disabling speed limits in various programs
There is a lot of speed limiting software. Let's consider how to speed up the Internet using the example of removing restrictions in a specific NetBalancer software:
- open the program no balancer with a shortcut on the desktop or through the “Start” menu,
- we find the “Settings” tab and go to the “filters ...” menu,
- in the window that opens, you will see filters restricting Internet access, if Internet access is not limited in the center will be the inscription “No filters”,
- seeing active restrictions select them with the left mouse button and click on the “Delete” button,
- the speed can be limited completely or for a specific application, you can see this by looking at the “Priority” section,
- seeing “Restriction”, “Blocking” or “Ignoring” in this section, right-click on the desired program, select the download tab and set the priority to “High”.
Checking network congestion with active applications
Also, using NetBalancer as an example, consider active applications that can reduce the overall speed of traffic.
- In the main menu there is no balancer located all the applications that somehow load the network.
- You can look at how much a particular application draws Internet speeds by looking at the display line parallel to the name of the application. It displays how much the application is currently loading the network, the amount of traffic that has been spent and how much has been received.
- Also for convenience is the NetBalancerTray extension, which displays this information in the tray.
Disabling updates and working with startup
We increase the download speed of Internet traffic by disabling the startup of unnecessary programs and turning off Windows auto-updates:
- to disable auto-update, use the familiar key combination Win + R,
- in the dialog box, enter services.msc,
- in the window that opens, click on the “Standard” tab and find “Windows Update”,
- select with the right mouse button and click “Stop”,
- using the key combination Ctrl + Shift + Esc we call the “Task Manager”,
- select the “Startup” tab,
- pay attention to the “Status” column, here all programs running along with the operating system are displayed, right-click the program that we want to remove from startup and click “Disable”.
Configure port settings (bits per second)
- With the right mouse button, select “My Computer”, open the “Properties” window.
- Next, go to the “Device Manager”.
- Open the “Ports” tab, double click on “Serial Port”.
- In the window “Properties: serial port” that opens, select the port parameters tab, change it to 9600.
Turn on turbo mode
Using the example of “Opera”, we will learn to speed up the Internet using Turbo mode.
- We launch the browser.
- Go to the menu, then “Tools”> “Quick Settings”> check the box “Enable Opera Turbo”.
- The option is simpler: after launching the browser in the lower left corner there will be a button stylized as a clock, click on it.
Close extra tabs
On a laptop, the speed of the Internet, due to limited performance, can be increased by closing extra tabs. Since each tab is loaded separately from the other and takes a certain place in the processor and RAM, closing the remaining tabs and leaving one necessary will significantly speed up the performance.
Suspend or stop active downloads
NetBalancer can help increase Internet speed by removing or pausing active downloads from the network. Downloaders such as BitTorrent or MediaJet, and any other torrent trackers and downloaders can seriously reduce the speed of your Internet connection.
- We start the program from a shortcut on the desktop or through the “Start” menu.
- The main menu will open a list of programs that download and upload something to the Internet.
- We find the program we need, select it with the right mouse button and, depending on the need, limit traffic or stop loading at all.
Configure DNS Servers
- We find the “Control Center” in the tray by clicking on the Internet connection icon, select it with the right mouse button and click on “Network and Sharing Center”.
- In the window that opens, select your connection, it is opposite the button of the same name.
- Next, click on the “Properties” button.
- In the network tab, we find “Internet Protocol version 4” and click “Properties”.
- Fill in the fields “Preferred DNS server 8,8,8,8”, “Alternative DNS server 8, 8, 4, 4”.
Checking Download Server
Perhaps a deterioration in the quality of the Internet is not a problem with your computer / provider, but simply a server problem. To understand whether this is true or not, you need to check the server itself:
- open the browser
- in the query line we write “server response check”,
- open the first link (in our case, this),
- copy the link to the site that loads poorly in the line “Enter the URL of the site page” and click “Check”,
- we get something like this, pay attention to the first line.
Install software to increase speed
How to increase the speed of the Internet, depending on your type of connection, there are different types of programs.
- To increase the speed of wired Internet, “TCP Optimizer” is suitable; it optimizes the parameters and settings of Windows and tcp / ip.
- Для ускорения 3G модемов используют “AxesesstelPST”, он поможет проанализировать CDMA антенну и, просканировав параметр “DRC Requested”, узнать нужна ли вам вообще эта антенна.
На примере “TP-LINK” объясню как обновить прошивку роутера:
- набираем в адресной строке 192.168.0.1,
- откроется меню входа в котором стандартные (если не изменено до вас) логин и пароль admin/admin,
- открываем вкладку “Системные инструменты”, находим пункт “Обновление встроенного ПО”, следуем дальнейшим инструкциям роутера.
Смена тарифного плана провайдера
You have carried out all possible checks from this, and possibly from other articles, but the quality of the Internet does not want to improve. The problem is not in you, contact your provider, I’m sure there is an opportunity to increase the speed of the connection, of course, the cost of the Internet will become more, but we are not talking about money, but about quality access to the global Internet.