- How to start the engine
- How to start a tank
- How to start a car in the cold
- How to get an injector
If you start the car’s engine with the clutch not released and the gear is not turned off, the following can happen: when the engine starts, the car starts to move sharply forward. This can cause trouble.
To avoid them, it is necessary to turn the ignition key clockwise until the starter is activated, only after you make sure that the gear lever is in the neutral position. The ignition key must be released immediately after the engine has been started.
Tip. If in doubt that the machine is in neutral, start the engine with the clutch pedal depressed. After the engine starts to work, try to slowly squeeze out a coupling pedal. If the car begins to move, you must immediately depress the clutch pedal and turn off the transmission. And so that no troubles arise, always, before starting the engine, check whether the car is on the handbrake.
If the transmission still turns on, this precaution will help to avoid the movement of the car and the engine will simply stall.
To start a cold engine, an enriched fuel mixture is required. Automatically, the composition of the mixture at startup is adjusted if you have a carburetor engine with automatic choke control or an injector. Cars with a conventional carburetor are equipped with a manually operated air damper. This shutter must be covered at the time of start-up to provide an enriched mixture. To achieve this, the extension of the control knob helps. After pulling out the choke control knob, the cold engine starts as previously described. As the engine warms up, its speed will begin to increase. Correct the revolutions by slightly sinking the handle, achieve small (about 1500 rpm), but steady revolutions.
The warmed-up engine starts with the air damper fully open, which prevents the mixture from being over-rich.
And now, in fact, instructions on how to start the car.
We start the car P.1 It’s clear that you are nervous. The first driving is like no. So, exhale and relax. Look what a wonderful weather (well, of course, in the rain, you are unlikely to go for the first time). Look at how wonderful your car is and be sure to smile. To believe in victory is half to win. We can do this.
We start the car P.2 Before starting the car, check whether it’s convenient for you in the driver's seat, whether you reach the pedals, the gearshift lever, or the rear-view mirrors are correctly configured. In short, we do not neglect the simple but necessary point of proper landing in the car. During the ride, you should think about the traffic situation, and not about how to turn the mirror on the go, because you can’t see the nifiga. And then, moving now, while laughing and spinning something there, I hope we will relax a bit before the first trip. Well done. You are comfortable, comfortable. Well, smile!
We start the car P.3 If you have a carburetor machine (found out in advance), then rock the gas pedal several times. This is necessary in order to slightly pump gasoline into the carburetor, necessary to start the car.
We start the car P.4 And now we will remember and work out this point to automatism, to pain to disgust. Right foot, first press the brake. Even if the car is on the handbrake, even if it is in the pads on all four wheels and is unlikely to budge. This is necessary in order to bring this skill to automaticity, so that the leg itself, almost without the participation of the brain, stretches to apply the brake at any stops at any parking. And you will be insured that your car will not budge if the handbrake does not work or you are standing at an angle. Repeat again. Do the right foot on the brake ONCE!
We start the car P.5 Left foot on the clutch and pedal to the floor, do TWO! Squeeze the clutch completely. We do this even if you have a neutral gear and you are sure that the machine will not make a jerk when starting up. Why do I need to squeeze the clutch? Going into the jungle of the gearbox of its primary and secondary shafts in this lesson makes no sense. We want to have a great mood and a bright head not overloaded with information. Then, all later.
Therefore, just take a word, that with the clutch pressed out, it will be much easier for your car to start up and it will thank you.
We repeat again, with the left foot we squeeze the clutch.
We start the car P. 6. (for injection machines) We insert the key and turn clockwise until the light comes on (this is called to turn on the ignition). So turn on the ignition and freeze in this position for 3-4 seconds. This is necessary in order for the automation to pump up the gas necessary to start the car. (in the carburetor car we did this by pushing the gas pedal)
They waited 3-4 seconds and turned the key all the way. Your favorite car should start up. Once started, relax your hand and the key will turn a little back.
If it does not start, try again. If you did not start the third time, just scream the guard. To understand why your car does not start, we naturally will not yet be on our own.
We start the car P.6 (for carburetor cars)
Pull on the “suction”. Funny name "suction" is not it? And what is it? Remember at the beginning we searched and found a miracle button on the dashboard. Photo above.
This is the so-called suction. Pull it towards you.
We start the car P7. And then boldly turn the key clockwise until it stops. And do not wait as with an injector, because we already shook the gasoline with our feet.
If you turn the key all the way you can hear individual seizures of the engine, slightly slightly rock the gas pedal. Only slightly, so as not to fill the candles (pah, again, some kind of “pour some candles”) In short, if you hear some seizures, just lightly press the gas. Lightly and all!
If the car does not start within 3-4 seconds, turn off the ignition, exhale, look around, pretend that you don’t need to start the car now, smartly poke the buttons on the phone, in short, after waiting for the theater pause that you and the car need, try make it again. If the third time not, then just like the owner of the injectors, shout out the guard.
But I am sure that your beauty growled growling, caressing your hearing. Also, relax your hand and the key will turn a little back.
If the car is not just rattling and roaring, then slowly and slowly heat the choke until the machine starts to work smoothly and beautifully. Do not overdo it so that the machine does not stall while it is cold. 3-4 seconds of smooth operation and release the clutch (of course there should be a neutral gear!)
Well, again, cold, hot, what the hell?
And garbage is that the engine is pleasant and comfortable to work only in a certain temperature range. Therefore, before moving, you need to warm up the machine a bit, until the temperature arrow enters the operating mode. We are looking for a temperature arrow on the dashboard. It looks something like this. The operating mode is clearly marked.
So, as the engine warms up, the cable car will rattle faster and faster, smoothly push the “suction” handle until you reach the stop. This can be done on the go, it is not necessary to stand and wait until the engine heats up to 80-90 degrees (this is the temperature from which the engine just spins)
And in addition, immediately teach yourself to look at the temperature arrow from time to time, so that God forbid the temperature rises even higher. But this is a completely different story. And now we will briefly repeat the above how to start the car.
Summary on how to start a car
- if you have a carburetor, rock the gas pedal several times.
- press the brake pedal with your right foot
- left-click on the clutch pedal
- put a neutral gear
- if you have an injector, turn on the ignition (the lights on the panel light up), wait 3-4 seconds (several lights go out) and turn the key all the way, the machine should start
- if the carburetor, pull the choke on yourself, and boldly and immediately turn it all the way, if in this case you hear individual grips easily swing the gas pedal, the machine should start
- wait for the engine to run smoothly and you can remove your foot from the clutch
- for carburetor. As the engine warms up (this is heard by ear, the engine starts to work faster and louder), smoothly lower the suction handle to its original position.
- Listen to how the engine of your car runs smoothly and beautifully, relax, sit back and smile.
So, comrades, today we were examining the first lesson without which not a single car would go on the topic, as a matter of fact, of getting her sweet. The lesson is finished and we are ready to move. Dismantled for a long time and painfully, and now look at the video how much time this simple procedure takes. In real life it’s still faster, because in my hands I have a camera. In the video, we analyze the version of the carburetor machine of which it is becoming smaller and smaller, but for the first car they often take the one that is cheaper, well, to put it mildly, “a little” is not new.
Dear Reader! If you start the car in another more advanced way, do not “squeeze”, share your experience. And for those who need this simple lesson on how to start a car, they can subscribe to the newsletter of the following lessons for "dummies"
9. When 10 seconds is enough
In the cold season, the oil in the engine and gearbox becomes thicker, and the motor needs more effort to overcome this resistance. And chemical reactions inside the battery occur more slowly when it is cold. Therefore, the starter has less energy to start the engine, and this makes the engine rotate more slowly. It’s a bit more difficult to make a box in an frost than mechanics.
- If you have a manual gearbox, you should first squeeze the clutch.
- When you turn on the engine, it should start within a couple of seconds.
- If this does not happen, make sure that you do not start the car for more than ten seconds. Otherwise, starter overheating may occur.
- After 10 seconds, let the starter rest for a minute, and then try again.
8. How to start the injector in the cold
A fuel injection engine (also called an injection engine) distributes fuel into the cylinders during start-up. Pressing the gas pedal while the engine is spinning will cause it to “flood”. That is, excess fuel will begin to “fill” the spark plugs, and they cannot ignite the fuel in the cylinders.
If you accidentally pressed the accelerator and your engine “flooded”, try pressing the accelerator pedal to the floor, and then spin the engine for a few seconds.
When the pedal reaches the floor, the car computer reduces the fuel supply, allowing excess fuel to exit the engine. Then try to start the engine again.
There is another way: if your engine is flooded, leave the car for a while (usually 20-30 minutes) alone, and the candles will dry. Then try to start the engine again.
7. Warm me up, master
Some vehicles may be equipped with an engine pre-heater. What makes this device clear from its name. The heater is especially recommended if you want to start the diesel engine in severe frost.
It’s best to plug it in at least 60-90 minutes before your trip or the night before if you know that it will be cold in the morning. Be sure to unplug the engine preheater before driving.
6. If the generator is not ale
If you bought a good battery that went through a rigorous selection of Za Rule experts, and it quickly discharges in the cold, then the problem is probably in the alternator. This is an electric device that charges the battery with the engine running.
Symptoms of a problem:
- If you start the car and the engine stalls immediately, this indicates a faulty generator.
- This is also indicated by the flickering of headlights and dashboard lights, and even a burning smell penetrating the interior if the generator has recently overheated.
- The generator is connected to the battery and engine, so if you are not a qualified mechanic, replacing it is a job that is best left to professionals.
- If you are an experienced car owner, and you can fix the faulty generator yourself, then this work will take about two hours. The hardest part is finding the right parts.
5. Yes, he has the wrong oil!
If your oil has too much viscosity, you will not be able to start the machine at low temperatures. Low viscosity, on the other hand, means that the engine components will not be adequately protected, resulting in premature wear.
- Check your car manual to find out what type of oil the manufacturer recommends. Usually it is 10W30 or 5W40, and the first number (followed by the letter “W” from the word Winter - winter) denotes the viscosity of the oil in cold weather.
- The lower the number, the lower the viscosity of the oil.
- For cars operating in very cold conditions, even 0W oil is available.
4. And if the whole thing is in the carburetor?
If your car is old enough, it most likely has a carburetor. This is the engine power system assembly that controls the mixture of fuel and air to be fed into the engine cylinders. The carburetor is especially vulnerable to icing. If the carburetor nozzles are clogged with ice, the engine of the machine may not start.
How to start a car with a carburetor in the cold:
- Keeping your left foot on the clutch, try to gently depress the accelerator pedal.
- This will allow a small amount of fuel to be injected in order to extend a helping hand to the engine.
Modern cars with injection engines are not affected by this problem.
3. When the starter does not start
The starter does exactly what you expect, it uses electricity from the battery to propel the car’s power unit.
The most obvious sign of a starter breakdown is the sound of a click when you turn the ignition key, after which the engine refuses to spin and start.
- If all the headlights and the car electrician are working properly and the car is not driving, this also indicates a problem with the starter and not with the battery.
- Replacing the starter is usually an easy task for a good mechanic. It is not very expensive, and not time consuming (about 1-2 hours).
- A new starter may look different than a new starter. Manufacturers sometimes modify the design of this device.
2. The ball is over, the candles went out
Another popular tip for driving in the cold is to check your spark plugs. Many motorists forget about them, but in vain. Candles gradually become so dirty that a spark simply cannot “break through” into the ignition chamber. Or they are gradually "poured" with gasoline, which entered the combustion chamber in liquid form, and not as an air mixture.
- If the unscrewed candles smell of gasoline and / or there is a smell of gasoline from the exhaust pipe, cleaning the candles with an ordinary toothbrush and a special cleaning agent will help. Or there is a more radical solution - their replacement.
- If there is no time to clean, do not start the engine for several minutes so that gasoline can "drain". Then turn the engine for 10 seconds with the starter, depress the gas pedal all the way so that the cylinders can "air out". And then try to start the car. If the driest cylinders “clutch”, the rest will follow.
1. Gasoline and water, to be honest - not a couple
Unable to start the car in the cold, you can curse anything - from bad karma to the vagaries of the weather. However, the fault may be the poor quality of gasoline.
If higher-quality fuels interfere with lower-quality ones, then this negatively affects the power of the machine, it will travel worse, it will be difficult to start, the motor will shake, and fuel consumption will increase significantly. But if gasoline was mixed with a small amount of ordinary water, then in cold weather it and the condensate will freeze. In the worst case scenario, this can lead to a “untimely death" of the gasoline pump.
Symptoms of a problem:
- If you unscrew the spark plugs, they will be completely dry, or filled with gasoline.
- There is a smell of gasoline from the exhaust pipe, or there is no vapor at all.
To make a "cold start" of the car, you can use fuel dehumidifiers (they are suitable only for gasoline engines). If this is not possible, you will have to wait for warming or try to warm the car in the garage. Then you need to drain low-quality gasoline and thoroughly dry and clean all the elements of the fuel system. And use refueling only large networks.