Glorious ribeye steaks, porterhouse and filet mignon cannot be called everyday food for most of us. But what if you want some great meat today? If you want to get a serving of excellent beef without spending a lot of money, try the less popular but equally tasty alternative steaks and use one proven recipe: pickling.
Marinating is a tricky thing that allows the meat to become better while in the aromatic liquid. Marinade adds beef taste, juiciness and tenderness to the beef (the acid in the marinades weakens muscle tissue and increases its ability to retain moisture.) With long pickling, pickles penetrate the tissue slowly, which can give the meat an overly sour or salty taste. For this reason, opinions differ and some argue that you need to pickle meat at night for maximum effect, while others that long marinating will not work.
There is a third special opinion that in order to achieve the greatest taste effect, you should marinate the steak already cooked. So which is the best method?
Marbled beef steak. Pickling recipes. Ways and time.
I decided to test all the ways. I chose a relatively inexpensive and tender alternative Flank steak for the sample. For the marinade, I used everything that was at home:
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons of Worcester sauce
3 tablespoons chopped white onion
2 tablespoons of sugar
4 cloves of minced garlic
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
The result surprised me.
The most extreme methods won, while the intermediate results did not impress me.
Steak No. 1 was with a vivid taste of marinade with a touch of soy sauce. All concerns about a crumbling and loose texture have not been confirmed. The meat was juicy, soft and fairly dense, but a little salty.
Steak number 2 incorporated all the best qualities of the marinade, but lost to the first steak in the aroma. The meat was tougher.
Steak No. 3 - pickled just 45 minutes. It boasts an attractive crust, but compared to the first two steaks, the meat was less aromatic and had an insufficiently saturated taste.
Steak No. 4 - Fresh aromas of garlic and onions were very noticeable in the taste and texture of meat. The steak did not have the deep caramel color and taste that are inherent in the steak marinated before frying. However, instead, you will find pleasant sweetness and salinity, and then a light, fresh aroma of marinade, revealed after frying.
To summarize: the steak with 12 hours of pickling had the most intense taste and aroma, the steak with pickling after frying was with the lightest and mildest taste of all. Therefore, if you are going to marinate marbled beef meat before cooking overnight, but do not like salt, then try to marinate an already prepared steak.
Do not worry that the pickled steak will be stewed, not fried over a fire. Marinated meat has a crust and a beautiful pattern. Do not worry that long pickling will destroy all connective tissue and the meat will be soft as cotton wool. The steak will only be more tender and juicy. The only thing I would like to warn against is a very concentrated solution of acid of lemon juice, wine or vinegar. In this case, I would recommend pickling for about 3-4 hours.
Recipe author: Pavel Potseluev (co-owner of a butcher shop)
How to cook steak
Before cooking meat, you need to give him the opportunity to take room temperature. This means that 1-1.5 hours before frying, you need to get it out of the package, leaving it on the table. If the meat does not reach room temperature, you just ruin the dish. The steak will be fried on the outside and cold in the middle.
If the beef is frozen, I advise you to first defrost it in the refrigerator. This is a lengthy process that can drag on for a day depending on the size of the piece. In principle, meat can be thawed in cold water. Only in this case can not be taken out of the packaging. And the result will not be the same. In the microwave, do not even try to defrost - spoil everything, getting a tasteless result.
In my experience, if the meat is good, then it can even be pickled. All you need is salt + pepper. Sprinkle the pieces before frying with olive oil or Worcester sauce, if you wish.
And yet, I recommend yourself to grind peppers before cooking yourself. So he will reveal his aroma more strongly. All you need is a mortar or rolling pin. You don’t have to do the dust at all, pieces of pepper 1 mm in size are ideal. They should stay on the steak. I advise you to salt and pepper the meat a minute before frying. Just cover the beef with spices on both sides and start cooking it. But the taste of steaks will add sauces. I picked up 3 options, which I will talk about a little later.
You need to cook the steak on a very hot surface - in a grill pan, on a wire rack or in a good thick-walled pan. This will seal the meat juice inside the piece. And the meat will not stick to the surface on which you cook. Fry a piece until it changes by one third from the bottom. It’s easier to navigate by looking at the end face of the steak. Then flip the piece to the other side. And wait again. Each side usually takes 2-3 minutes.
Remember, my friends, it’s forbidden to poke a steak with a fork. This cutlery has sharp teeth. And do not have time to come to your senses, as you pierce a piece and all the meat juice will flow out. To invert a piece, use forceps or a spatula.
If you cook a thick steak (more than 3 cm), you can bring it to full readiness in 2 ways. Or, after frying for 5-7 minutes, put in an oven preheated to 180 degrees. Or fry the ends of the piece. Here you can’t do without tongs, holding the meat at the end.
After preparing the steak, he needs to give time to “rest”. Put the slice on a plate and leave it for 15 minutes. This time is enough for the meat juice to evenly distribute inside the steak. I recommend putting a piece of butter on top of the steak. Believe me, it will be very tasty.
Serve the finished beef I advise with the sauce. Choose the option to your taste - Bearnese, lingonberry or Spanish with tomato paste. Want to make these sauces yourself? Then by all means watch this video
Below I offer you three original recipes for pickling beef. Be sure to write in the comments which option, in your opinion, is the best.
Lime Marinade Steak Dinner Recipe
Preparing this dish is very simple. You can cook grilled steak or in a pan. For him you will need:
- 1 piece of steak (ribeye),
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce (you can replace 1 tablespoon balsamic thick sauce or 1 tsp sesame oil),
- a couple of garlic cloves
- 6 cherry tomatoes + 1 larger tomato,
- 1 shallot,
- several tablespoons olive oil
- salt + pepper,
- herbs - oregano, thyme and rosemary,
- 5 potatoes.
Squeeze juice from an exotic fruit and mix it with sauce. We cut the garlic into slices, send it to the marinade. We mix all the components well and roll the meat in them. Hold each side for 3 minutes, and then turn over (do 3 circles).
While the beef is soaked in spices, we switch to tomatoes. We cut each cherry into 4 parts. And that tomato, which is larger (you can take black or yellow) - into 8 parts. Then chop the onion - it is desirable to cut it into small cubes.
In a heat-resistant form, mix the onions and tomatoes. Add a couple of tablespoons here. olive oil. Salt the mixture, pepper and season with herbs.
Next, cut the peeled potatoes into 6 parts. And we shift it into clean, heat-resistant dishes. Add and pepper on top, and also sprinkle with olive oil.
Then these two dishes are sent to the oven, heated to 205 degrees. Bake for 20 minutes. If you are cooking on a wire rack, wrap the tomatoes and potatoes in foil.
Next, go to the cooking of beef. We take the meat out of the marinade, remove pieces of garlic from it and wipe it with a dry towel. Heat the grill pan and put a slice on it. Fry each side for 3-4 minutes. This time is indicated for a 3 cm thick ribeye steak. If you have a thinner or thicker piece, adjust the time yourself. Serve beef with baked tomatoes and potatoes.
We will cook on the grill. Red wine creates a delicate and unique bouquet. And juniper will add piquancy to the meat.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 6 pcs beef tenderloin medallions, 3-5 cm tall,
- 6 plates of greasy bacon,
- culinary twine,
- 2 onions,
- 2 stalks of celery,
- 3 medium carrots,
- 3 bay leaves,
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic,
- a handful of juniper berries (if any)
- 400 ml of red wine,
- 4 tbsp olive oil,
- 3 tsp pepper peas.
The first thing to do is wrap the medallions with bacon. Fasten it on the meat with twine, wrapping it around and tying it to a knot. So do with every bite.
Next, prepare the marinade. Chop onions, carrots, celery finely. Combine chopped vegetables and all other ingredients in a large bowl. Fill everything with wine and oil. Put the medallions in the mold and fill them with marinade. Leave the meat in the refrigerator all night.
Then remove the steaks from the refrigerator, drain the marinade, and pat the meat with a paper towel. Lubricate the slices on both sides with olive oil. Pepper and salt on top.
Lubricate a clean preheated grate with vegetable oil and lay steaks on it. If the pieces are large, then cook for 6 minutes on each side. Focus on their color. After a couple of minutes, turn the pieces. So the meat will get a pattern in the form of a lattice from hot rods. You need to cook until golden brown.
When the meat is browned on one side, turn it over to the other. To lightly fry the bacon in which you wrapped the meat, fry their steaks on the sides. Just flip them with forceps from all sides.
After the medallions, remove from the heat and remove the twine. Lubricate each piece with butter. After making a steak in wine, friends will elevate you to the rank of chef for cooking on the grill 🙂
For clarity, see another video recipe. The meat is pickled in oil, herbs, garlic and spices. And when frying, add a piece of butter.
Cooking soy sauce marinade
For the delicacy, take:
- 0.5 kilograms of marbled beef,
- 4 garlic cloves
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp chopped black pepper
- 3 tbsp honey.
Divide the meat into 5 equal portions. Make shallow cuts in each of them. Pass the garlic through the garlic. Mix this gruel with butter, honey, vinegar, sauce and pepper. Pour the meat with the finished marinade and leave it for 4 hours in the refrigerator. If time permits, you can leave it longer - for example, at night.
We heat the grill pan. Sprinkle beef on both sides with salt and send to the pan. Cooking time depends on the degree of roasting you want to get. And besides, the thickness of the pieces plays an important role here. So navigate yourself. It turns out awesomely tasty 🙂
By the way, in the article “How to fry beef in a pan” I shared the secrets of cooking delicious meat. I think that now you will not have problems with the preparation of the steak. Share recipes in social networks with friends, cook and go outdoors. And I tell you: see you soon!
Types of Meat Marinades
Before pickling a steak, you need to choose the right marinade for it. After all, it not only forms the taste of the dish, but also performs a number of other functions, for example, softens meat fibers, etc.
Each marinade has a base - a liquid component. In addition to it there are spices that add taste. Here is what is most commonly taken to make steak marinade:
- Soy sauce. It not only fats meat, but also softens its muscle fibers. For this reason, it is most often used for beef steak. Soy sauce goes well with grated ginger, onions and garlic or lime juice.
- Olive oil. It envelops steaks, preventing them from burning, and also reveals the true taste of spices.
- Balsamic vinegar. The main thing with him is not to overdo it, otherwise the meat will turn out sour. Perfectly softens meat, and also goes well with many types of spices.
- Mustard softens the meat, gives it piquancy and pungency of taste. It is combined with soy sauce and honey.
- Red wine. It requires the right proportions and a certain type of seasoning. But, if done correctly, the marinade will turn out great.
- Mineral water is used to make meat juicier and softer.
The secret to delicious steak
Choosing meat for steak, it must be properly marinated. Those who have already marinated meat more than once have identified several subtleties of this process, allowing to achieve the best result.
- It is better to soak the steak in the marinade in a bowl of glass, ceramic or clay. Many chefs are sure that aluminum dishes spoil the taste of meat.
- If you intend to use onions, then it must be cut into small pieces so that it gives its juices as much as possible.
- As for the time of pickling, it depends on the quality of the meat, as well as on the selected marinade. As a rule, only 60 minutes is enough. But some stretch the process for several days.
- You should not combine wine with vinegar and lemon juice in one marinade. It is better to choose one of the following.
- You need to choose a steak like this: the meat should be fresh and have fatty veins that will add juiciness when frying.
Properly marinating a grill steak means securing a delicious and tasty lunch for yourself. There are a lot of marinades for grilling: sour, spicy, sweet, etc. Here are a few of them:
- 4 tbsp. l sesame oil, 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 tbsp. l balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp. l brown sugar, dried basil and sesame seeds, a pinch of white ground pepper. All mixed and soaked in a mixture of meat. It will be enough a couple of hours for the marinade. And after that you can listen to the grilling of an appetizing piece of meat.
- Kefir marinade is suitable for pork. 0.5 liters of kefir of any fat content, salt and pepper to taste, a mixture of Provencal herbs and other spices. First, the meat is rubbed on all sides with salt and spices. Then they put it in a bowl and pour kefir so that it covers the steak. Soak for 2 hours. After a couple of hours, sprinkle the meat with Provencal herbs and send to the grill.
- Tomato marinade. 3 large tomatoes, 3 medium heads of onions, a mixture of herbs, a bunch of fresh basil, ground red pepper, salt. Everything needs to be mixed. In the finished marinade, steaks are steeped for 4 hours. Then the meat is fried on the grill.
Delicious Pork Steak Marinade
How to pickle pork steak so that it turns out not only tasty, but also juicy? You need to choose the right marinade.
- Simple marinade: finely chopped fresh cilantro, parsley, basil, oregano, add a few needles of rosemary and pressed garlic. The resulting mixture is poured with two tablespoons of olive oil or kefir / yogurt / Ayran. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice. Steak is immersed in the marinade for a couple of hours.
- The second version of the marinade for how to marinate pork steak for frying in a pan in a whip. Mix 200 ml of dry red wine, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, add a teaspoon of ground pepper mixture, bay leaf, a pinch of nutmeg, 3 onions, cut into half rings. Pour the steaks with the resulting marinade for an hour, and then fry in a pan.
How to marinate beef steak?
Beef is considered more healthy than pork. However, its fibers are more rigid. Therefore, for it you will need a marinade, which will soften the flesh of meat.
- Wine marinade: 150 ml of dry red wine, 55 ml of olive oil, 80 ml of soy sauce, salt and ground peppers to taste. In the finished marinade, beef steaks are steeped for a couple of hours, and then fried.
- Lovers of marbled beef steaks should use the following marinade for a gourmet dish: mix half a cup of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of Worcester sauce, 3 large tablespoons of finely chopped white onion, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 4 cloves of pressed garlic, 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard and 2 dessert tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Steaks are in the finished marinade for 12 hours - this time will allow to achieve a more saturated taste.
How to marinate a turkey steak?
A turkey steak will turn out no worse than beef or pork. A correctly selected marinade will brighten its taste.
- Mix lemon juice (40 ml), olive oil (80 ml), cumin (5 g), lemon zest (10 g) and 3 cloves of garlic. In a fragrant marinade, the turkey is soaked for 2 hours, and then fried in a pan or baked in the oven.
- The second option: 150 ml of kefir, 3 garlic cloves, 20 grams of dried dill, 1 bay leaf and black ground pepper - to taste. In the prepared sauce, steaks from turkey are soaked for 2 hours.
- The third option: 3 tbsp. ложки дижонской горчицы, 80 грамм сметаны, 40 мл лимонного сока, немного кориандра и белого молотого перца. Пара часов в маринаде - и стейки из индейки можно смело поджаривать.
- The fourth option: 4 tbsp. l olive oil, half a glass of dry white wine, a third glass of soy sauce, 10 grams of a mixture of different peppers, 2 garlic cloves and a head of red onion. All ingredients are mixed together, and then turkey steaks are placed in the finished marinade. Only 30 minutes are enough to soak.
Fish steaks are the most delicate dish that true gourmets can appreciate. Having correctly marinated the fillet of red fish, namely this variety of fish is considered the best for steak, you can easily get a gourmet dish.
Here are a few fish steak marinade recipes:
- A simple marinade for fatty fish is prepared from 3 tbsp. l olive oil, a spoonful of lemon juice or lemon rings, white pepper and a sprig of thyme - to taste. Soaking for 20 minutes will be enough to get a rich taste.
- For lovers of sweet taste in dishes, the following marinade for salmon steaks is suitable as a dominant. It is prepared from a tablespoon of liquid honey, the same amount of vinegar or white wine, 3 cloves of garlic, passed through a press, herbs, dried peppers and a spoonful of olive oil. Enough soaking for 10 minutes in the marinade, and the dish will turn out delicious.
- Another option: mix 3 tablespoons of Dijon mustard, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 100 ml of white wine. Ground paprika and salt are added according to individual preferences. For 20 minutes, put the fish steaks in the marinade, and then fry them. You can even grill.
- The most popular marinade for salmon and other types of red fish is prepared from: grated ginger root, lemon juice and olive oil. 20 minutes soaking, and you can send steaks to the grill or to the oven.