Today we’ll talk again about the features built into the text editor Microsoft Office Word. There are so many of them for a minute that hardly anyone remembers everything by heart. Moreover, not everyone needs them. But sooner or later we are faced with a routine of work that can be done in seconds with the help of the very functionality of MS Word. In this context, we assigned page numbering in Word to routine work. Agree, we do not use it very often, right? Yes, of course, students (sometimes even schoolchildren) need it in essays, dissertations, and more, it is also useful to authors of books, and ... we don’t even know who else. We will not go into details about why you need numbering - you can talk about this for a long time, but just talk about how to number the pages in a text editor from Microsoft.
How to quickly number pages in Word automatically
The instruction is extremely simple, logical and memorable, so the second time you are unlikely to refer to this text. Well, let's get started:
- First of all, we need to find the “Insert” tab, click on it to go to the corresponding menu,
As you can see, a menu has opened that will help you insert into the text everything your soul wants — from tables and figures to images and information from the Wikipedia portal. We need the header and footer section, it is shifted to the right side,
In the drop-down menu you should choose where exactly you want to place the page numbering: at the top of the page, at the bottom, in the margins of the document or where your cursor is currently located (button "current position"). Take the most common option - at the top, we hover over the corresponding sub-item, after which the program will provide us with different options for placing the numbering,
We settled on a simple room with a vertical line, it looks like this:
How to number pages in Word with letters or Roman numerals
In fact, even such a procedure will not cause you any inconvenience. Everything is done literally in seconds:
- Once again, go to the "Insert" tab,
- There we find a section with headers and footers,
- Click on the “Page Number” button,
- After opening the dropdown menu, click on the well-known sub-item “Page Number Format”,
- All the same pop-up window appears with the numbering settings, which we saw in the previous instruction. Only now we need the term “Number format”, that’s where we can set the most convenient page numbering format for us,
And this time there is absolutely nothing complicated. Congratulations, now you know how to manage the numbering in Word and how to generally number pages.
In the end, I would like to analyze an interesting question that you may have. After carrying out all the above actions in some versions of Word, a strip may appear:
To remove it, you need to click on the button “Close the header and footer window”.
That's all. If you know faster ways to number pages, write about it in the comments.
Page break with Enter key (manual)
The simplest and most obvious way that most Word users resort to. You need to set the cursor in the place from which you want to indent, and then press the Enter key until the text input line moves to a new sheet. It has a serious drawback - if you change part of the file before transferring, the formatted paragraph will “rise” or “fall” in the document. In addition, the layout will not be saved when the document is scaled. Using Enter is only suitable for setting the spacing between paragraphs as 1 blank line.
Tearing a sheet using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Enter
A faster and much more functional indentation option. Position the mouse cursor in front of the piece of data that you want to transfer, then press Ctrl and Enter at the same time. Unlike the previous method, when using this, the formatting will not disappear when you zoom or edit the previous part of the text. The method is great if you need to make one or more transitions in the entire document or edit an already typed one.
Tearing a sheet through a function in the Insert tab
This method completely repeats the functionality of the previous one. Algorithm:
- Place the mouse cursor in the desired part of the content (the part to the right will be shifted),
- Click the Insert tab,
- In the "Pages" drop-down menu (by default, the leftmost cell), select "Page Break".
Transition to a new sheet through the “Breaks” function
You can also transfer data through the “Layout” tab (“Page Layout”). There are several functions in the “Breaks” drop-down menu - the option has more options than the others. To do this, you need:
- Place the mouse cursor in the desired part of the text,
- Go to the “Layout” tab (or “Page Layout”), in the “Page Settings” area,
- In the Breaks drop-down menu, select the item that you need.
There are 3 functions in this menu:
- “Page” - all objects that are to the right of the cursor in the file will be moved to a new one, preserving formatting.
- “Column” is a function that is needed if you use the appropriate text layout. It transfers data after the cursor to the beginning of a new column.
- “Wrap Text” is an option for web files. When using it, the content of the document flows around an image, a table or other object, which saves space and makes more beautiful formatting.
Transition to a new sheet through the context menu
Transfer can be done without using the tabs of the main menu. To do this, you need:
- Select the paragraph for which you want to customize,
- Right-click on the selected fragment, click on the “Paragraph” link in the “Position on page” menu,
- Check “From a new page” in the “Pagination” area.
What to consider when using a hard delimiter
The transition created by the user works in the same way as the normal transition that occurs when the sheet is filled with data. The only difference is that you decide which paragraph to move. In order to do this, left-click in front of the fragment that you want to transfer.
Separation of data using Ctrl + Enter is no different from the other (with the exception of the "Breaks" function - it provides more options). This combination is recommended because of speed and convenience. As when pressing Ctrl + Enter, or when separating sheets in another way, a technical symbol is added to the text, which creates a transition.
If you used a hard separator in the Word file, carefully check the document before printing. You can do this in preview mode. It happens that when the content is divided into sheets, the file structure changes and you do not need to use the function.
Do not use strict separation of the text in order to arrange the numbering in the file. Word offers enough opportunities to solve this problem - no need to use formatting.
Word auto-pane management
Automatic sheet tearing functions are needed so that you can transfer this work to the program. Word offers a large number of settings - for the functionality to work properly, you need to be able to manage them. In addition, the parameters correctly set in a particular case protect the document from formatting loss during text changes.
How to prevent one paragraph from breaking into 2 sheets
Sometimes it is necessary that one of the paragraphs of the content does not break into two parts when splitting the page. For example, if you want to maintain its integrity for a more accurate look or to make it easier to read. To do this, you need:
- Select the paragraph that you want to protect against hyphenation,
- Right-click on it to bring up the context menu,
- Select paragraph,
- In the new dialog box, go to the “Position on page” tab,
- In the "Pagination" area, activate the "Do not break the paragraph" function
- Save the settings by clicking OK.
How to prevent the separation of two or more paragraphs of text (transferring one of them to a new sheet separately)
Sometimes you need to not only protect the paragraph from hyphenation, but also from breaking with another. This is to ensure that parts of the text that are related in meaning are nearby. For this:
- Select two or more paragraphs that you want to protect from separation and place on one sheet,
- Open the “Paragraph” menu and the “Position on the page” tab, as in the description of the previous function,
- Activate the item "Do not tear yourself away from the next."
How to add separation before paragraph
Thanks to this function, the data fragment will always occupy the top position on the new sheet:
- Highlight the desired paragraph,
- Call the context menu by right-clicking
- Follow the “Paragraph” link,
- In the “Position on the page” tab, in the “Layout” area, set the “From a new page” parameter,
- Click OK.
Prohibition on leaving one line of paragraph on a sheet
In a professional environment, one line that is torn off a paragraph and is on another sheet is called a “hanging line." The sheet should not start or end this way. Under strict requirements, only two or more lines are allowed. To automate this principle, you need:
- Select paragraphs that should not contain dangling lines,
- Open the context menu with a right click, then “Paragraph” and the “Page Layout” tab,
- Activate the option “Block hanging lines”,
- Click “OK” to save the changes.
Usually this parameter is activated in Word by default, but sometimes it is the other way around, you need to disable it - this is done by clicking on the same flag.
Prevent table row wrapping when moving to a new page
In order to make the table look neater and easier to read, it is recommended that all its lines be on the same sheet in Word or when printing. To do this, you need:
- Select the table so that a special context menu is available,
- Right-click on the selected area, select "Work with tables",
- Go to “Layout” - “Table” - “Properties”,
- In the window that opens, click on "String",
- Uncheck “Allow line breaks to next page”,
- Save the changes.
Usually this feature is turned off in Word by default.
Removing Sheet Separation
If you applied the separation by mistake or during the verification of the document realized that it is not needed, you can delete it. At the same time, the transition that occurs to Word automatically when the text reaches the end of the sheet cannot be deleted or changed - this is a mandatory feature of the program. Only hyphens added by users can be removed.
Manual gap removal
This method is the opposite of creating a hyphen by pressing Enter. It is the simplest, but not as convenient and fast as the rest:
- Place the cursor at the end of the last line of the paragraph,
- Click Delete
- If the hyphen does not disappear, continue to press the key - perhaps a piece of text is separated by a large number of line breaks,
In order to understand that the transition is deleted, pay attention to the cursor at the end of the line. If the paragraph is last, and it occupies the final position, then all empty lines have disappeared.
Delete a gap through the "Display"
The division of sheets in Word is a technical symbol - like a tab. It is not visible in normal file view. In order to delete a character, you need to use the advanced features:
- Open the "Home", click "Show all characters" (a button in the form of a special character, which is located to the left of the text style selection menu) - this will make all gaps visible,
- To delete a transition, select the symbol, and then delete it on the Delete button.
When a sheet break is removed, the text that follows the character is formatted in the same way as the preceding character. The method is most relevant if you need to remove several characters - for a large number it is too long and inconvenient.
Removing the gap through the "Draft"
This method is also great for manually deleting multiple transitions in a document:
- Click on the “View” tab,
- Select the display type of the draft document.
- Place the cursor near the division (in front of a line of text that is already on a new sheet),
- Press the Delete key.
Delete a gap using document search
This method is great in the case when you need to delete a large number of transitions or all at once:
- Open the "Home", click "Display all characters" (a button in the form of a special character, which is located to the left of the text style selection menu) - this will make all separators visible
- Copy one of the gap icons to the clipboard (Ctrl + “C”),
- Press the key combination Ctrl + “F” - this activates the search in the text,
- Insert a special line break character in the line if you need to delete several transitions,
- Highlight the sign and press Delete, after which you can use the up and down arrows,
- If you need to remove all delimiters at once, use the "Replace" command - Ctrl + "H",
- Instead of using the “Find” field, use the option at the bottom of the window - “More” - “Replace” - “Special” - “Page break”,
- For “Replace with”, specify a space,
- Click “Replace” as many times as necessary or “Replace All” to do this in the entire document.
Word Break is a feature that allows you to format text according to print requirements or simply make it easier to read. The program has several ways to make a transfer, as well as configure it. Unnecessary separations can be removed - also with the help of several options. However, it is recommended that you keep an eye on the elements immediately, since it can be difficult to cope with all the transfers at once.