This post will cover several ways to download a book to your Kindle.
USB book download
The first and easiest way is to download a book from a computer. To do this, you need to connect the Kindle to the computer using the USB-microUSB cable. This comes bundled not only with the Kindle, but also with the latest smartphones.
Once connected, you will see the Kindle as a flash drive. She will have such folders:
- audiable - folder for audio books
- documents - the main folder for books
- music - folder for music
- system - hidden system folder
- pictures - a folder for photo albums (more on this in subsequent articles)
You will need to upload the book to the documents folder. It should be in one of the understood kindle formats: TXT, PRC, PDF, MOBI and AZW. The difference between the last two is as follows: MOBI is a free, open format, and AZW is the same format, but protected by DRM. This DRM stands for Digital rights management, a technical means of copyright protection. Amazon also makes money by selling content. But readers are sold at cost.
Buying Books on Amazon
About the second way to start reading a book, I'm sure you guessed it. This is buy it on Amazone. This requires that the Kindle be online and registered.
Let's start by connecting WiFi. This is worth doing, even if you have a 3G model.
- Go to the settings section (in Kindle Keybord, press Menu on the book selection screen and select Settings).
- Choose Wi-Fi Settings.
- Select the desired network and enter the password to it.
Now your Kindle is online. It remains to register it on Amazone. In the same settings section, where we activated Wi-Fi, the line above is the desired item. There you need to enter your mail and password from your Amazon account.
After that, you will have the opportunity to create collections, buy books both from a computer and from the Kindle. Amazon has both the ability to download the first few pages for free and completely free books. Unfortunately, unlike AppleStore, there is no separate section for free books. Moreover, most of the free or with a big discount books / games outside the US can not be downloaded.
If you still need a freebie, despite the fact that it is in English, then create an account on Amazon from an American proxy and to the US address. Money will be needed on it - replenish the balance with a gift card. Attention, this only works on models without 3G.
Sending books via e-mail
Another important important benefit of registering a device on Amazone is the receipt of a mailbox. Moreover, the Kindle itself will take its contents and even unpack it will unpack the zip archive.
- Microsoft Word (.DOC, .DOCX) will be converted to MOBI
- HTML (.HTML, .HTM) will be converted to MOBI
- RTF (.RTF) will be converted to MOBI
- JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG)
- Kindle Format (.MOBI, .AZW)
- GIF (.GIF)
- PNG (.PNG)
- BMP (.BMP)
- PDF (.PDF) if you specify convert in the subject, it will be converted to MOBI
You can see the address in the settings, on the second screen, the item Device E-mail. Please note that if you have a model with 3G, then you should use an address like [email protected] You will receive such mail only via Wi-Fi and it will not be guaranteed to be charged.
If desired, the address changes to Amazone Your Account> Manage Your Kindle> Manage Your Devices: amazon.com/gp/digital/fiona/manage?ie=UTF8&ref_=ya_14&#manageDevices
Why am I displaying my e-mail so freely? There is no spam problem on the Kindle, since receiving mail is only possible from the white list. It is edited in the Personal Document Settings section: amazon.com/gp/digital/fiona/manage?ie=UTF8&ref_=ya_14&#pdocSettings. You can add a separate mailing address or domain immediately. For example, you can add @ domen.ru, where domen.ru is the site of your company.
Download books via WiFi
The last method on the list, but not the last in terms of convenience, is to download books through the built-in browser. First, launch the browser (Menu-> Experimental-> launch browser). Next, select the desired site. There are not so many websites giving mobi with the right headers. But this is a matter of time. I recommend trying with m.gutenberg.org
The design of the mobile version is made there perfectly for the Kindle. I think that over time, most libraries will have such mobile versions. Unfortunately, there is almost no Russian-language literature there. But there is a lot of it on flibust - www.flibusta.net. It is often copied by copywriters. In such cases, try the alternative proxy.flibusta.net domain.
1. Copy via USB
The simplest and most obvious option. No Amazon account or internet registration required. All you need is a computer and a cable.
- Connect your Kindle to your computer using a cable.
- Open Finder or Explorer and locate a mounted removable drive called Kindle.
- Go to the documents folder and drag the necessary books into it.
- Remove the device.
2. Import via Caliber
Like the previous method, this one does not require registration. And thanks to the capabilities of Caliber, you can immediately convert books from incompatible formats.
- Download the program from the link and install it on a Mac or PC.
- Connect your Kindle to your computer with a cable and wait for Caliber to detect it.
- If books have not yet been imported to the library, add them by simply dragging them to the program window.
- Highlight the desired items and click the "Send to device" button.
3. Sending via Send to Kindle
Another option for sending books from a computer. You no longer need to connect the Kindle with a cable, the content is synchronized via Wi-Fi. You will need to register an account.
- Download the application from the link and install it.
- Launch and log into your Amazon account.
- Drag the book into the application window and select the devices onto which it should be downloaded.
- Click the Send button and wait for the download to finish.
- Make sure Wi-Fi is turned on on your Kindle and after a few seconds the book will appear on your device.
4. Sending to Kindle-mail
Another option to download over the Internet. Using a computer is optional. Any device will do, but you will need a registered Amazon account.
1. Log in to your Amazon account by opening this link in your browser.
2. Go to the Devices tab and find the desired device in the list.
3. Open the details and copy the personal email of your Kindle.
4. Go to the Preferences tab and open the Personal Document Settings section.
5. Scroll to the very end and, by clicking on the Add a new approved e-mail address button, add the trusted addresses from which you are going to send books to the Kindle.
6. Send an e-mail with the desired file in the attachment to the Kindle email, which you learned in the third step.
7. A couple of minutes after Wi-Fi is enabled on the reader, the book will appear in the library.
5. Download via browser
The most autonomous option without the use of additional devices, applications and account. Books are downloaded directly from the built-in browser.
1. Open the menu and select “Experimental browser”.
2. Enter the library URL in the address bar. For example, gutenberg.org.
3. Find the desired book and click on the download link.
4. Confirm the download, and after a few seconds the book appears on the Kindle screen.