Let's take a closer look at how we got the quotient 70:
- We calculate the first digit of the quotient, for this we find the smallest integer divisible which is divided by 25. The smallest integer divisible is 175 = 25 × 7.
- To calculate the first digit of the quotient, we used 3 digits of the dividend (175 0), in addition, after finding the first digit, we got the remainder equal to zero 175 - 175 = 0, therefore, to calculate the second digit of the quotient, we must use the digits of the number starting from 4 (175 0) . To calculate 2 digits of the quotient, only the digit 0 remains, therefore we transfer 0 to the quotient.
How to do the division
Our experienced team of editors and researchers contributed to this article and tested it for accuracy and completeness.
The wikiHow content management team carefully monitors the work of editors to ensure that each article meets our high quality standards.
There are many ways to perform division. You can separate decimal numbers, fractions and even degrees, while using the column division method or the accelerated division method. Read this article to learn how to perform division by different methods.
What does a child of grade 2-3 need to know in order to learn how to divide in a column?
How to correctly explain the division of a column to a child of grade 2-3 so that he does not have problems in the future? To begin with, let's check if there are any knowledge gaps. Make sure that:
- the child freely performs addition and subtraction operations,
- knows bits of numbers
- knows by heart the multiplication table.
How to explain to a child division in a column: solution algorithm
Larger numbers are difficult to divide in the mind; it is easier to use a column division record. To teach the child the correct calculations, proceed according to the algorithm:
- Determine where in the example the dividend and divisor are. Ask the child to name the numbers (what we will divide by).
213 - Divisible
3 - divider
- Write the dividend - “corner” - the divisor.
- Determine how much of the dividend we can use to divide by a given number.
We reason like this: 2 is not divisible by 3, which means we take 21.
- Determine how many times the divider "fits" in the selected part.
21 divided by 3 - take 7.
- Multiply the divisor by the selected number, write the result under the “corner”.
7 times 3 - we get 21. We write.
At this stage of reasoning, teach your child to test himself. It is important that he understands that the result of the subtraction should ALWAYS be less than the divisor. If something went wrong, you need to increase the selected number and perform the action again.
- Repeat until balance is 0.
Further you can take a more complicated example to make sure that the child has learned the correct record and the reasoning algorithm.
How to reason in order to teach a child of grade 2-3 to divide a column
How to explain to the child the division 204:12=?
1. We write in a column.
204 is a dividend, 12 is a divisor.
2. 2 is not divisible by 12, which means we take 20.
3. To divide 20 by 12 we take 1. Write 1 under the “corner”.
4. 1 times 12 we get 12. We write under 20.
5. 20 minus 12 we get 8.
Checking ourselves. 8 is less than 12 (divisor)? Ok, that's right, move on.
6. Next to 8 we write 4. 84 divided by 12. By how much do you need to multiply 12 to get 84?
It’s hard to say right away, we’ll try to use the selection method.
Take, for example, 8, but not yet written. We consider orally: 8 times 12 we get 96. And we have 84! Not suitable.
We try a smaller one ... For example, we take 6. Verify ourselves verbally: 6 times 12 is 72. 84-72 = 12. We got the same number as our divisor, but it should be either zero or less than 12. Therefore, the optimal number is 7!
7. We write 7 under the “corner” and perform the calculations. 7 times 12 we get 84.
8. We write the result in a column: 84 minus 84 is equal to zero. Hurrah! We decided correctly!
So, you taught the child to share in a column, now it remains to work out this skill, to bring it to automatism.
Why is it difficult for children to learn to divide in a column?
Remember that problems with mathematics arise from the inability to quickly do simple arithmetic operations. In elementary school, it is necessary to work out and bring addition and subtraction to automatism, to learn the multiplication table from cover to cover. All! The rest is a matter of technology, but it is developed with practice.
Be patient, do not be lazy to once again explain to the child what he did not learn in the lesson, it’s tedious, but meticulous to understand the reasoning algorithm and say every intermediate operation before voicing the ready answer. Give additional examples for practicing skills, play math games - this will bear fruit and you will see results and enjoy the successes of the child very soon. Be sure to show where and how to apply the acquired knowledge in everyday life.
Dear readers! Tell us how you teach your children to divide in a column, what difficulties you had to face and in what ways you overcome them.
We bring to your attention developmental training programs with dog therapists, depending on the age of the child and your wishes:
- Dog Relief Training. 3+
- Classes with dog therapists "Read to the dog." 5+
- Lesson for kids "Dogs hugs." 0+ (up to 3 years)
- Educational lesson "For children about the professions of men and dogs." 4+
- Training sessions with dog therapists as part of a creative camp. 8+
- Classes with therapeutic dogs and children with developmental disabilities. 5+
- Developing course "Dog is a friend of man." (4 lessons). 4+