19.06.2019 relations 273 Views
At all times, courage was considered a positive quality, one of the main virtues, as well as a sign of a spiritually developed personality. There is not a single timid person who at least once in his life has not thought about how to become brave and learn to control a sense of fear. To develop this strong-willed character trait is not an easy task; it requires titanic work and constant work on oneself.
Psychological portrait of a brave man
To become bold and courageous, you need to know what characteristics are inherent in a determined and self-confident person. A person can be called brave only if he meets the following requirements:
- Able to keep emotions under control, adequately assesses the situation and is able to make the right decision, relying solely on the voice of reason.
- He knows what he wants, does not give up his goal, even if for the sake of its achievement it is necessary to make certain sacrifices.
- He is responsible for his words and deeds.
- Ready to fight for the honor and dignity of loved ones.
- Soberly assesses his capabilities, but never gives in to difficulties.
The daredevil differs from a coward in that in any situation he does not lose his face and does not bend under the pressure of public opinion. Courage allows you to believe in a bright future, because a courageous person realizes that fate is wholly in his hands.
Nature of fear
To develop courage, you first need to defeat your fears, many of which originate in childhood. Strong fright and fear are the response of the nervous system to a situation that forces a person to flee or surrender to danger. At the same time, the adrenal glands begin to actively produce the hormone cortisol, which provokes severe stress.
Thus, fear is a natural reaction of the body.Based on chemical processes in the body and supported by an environment that teaches a person to always be alert. The ability to not be afraid and not to panic is developed through a proper training of consciousness.
Any attempt to hide from a real or perceived threat by burying one’s head in the sand makes fear more intense. The longer a person seeks excuse for his cowardice, the more time he will spend on panic about the possible undesirable consequences of a particular situation.
Only by looking into the face of your fear can you find an effective weapon against it.
Self confidence development
In a good, impudent and self-confident person who is not afraid to take responsibility and realizes that he is stronger than circumstances, he lives much easier than someone who is in captivity of fear. Confidence allows you to do bold deeds. Its development will require a lot of effort, time and self-discipline, but the game is worth the candle.
Modern books on psychology contain many recommendations that allow you to become a fearless person who can move forward in spite of difficulties. In particular, they talk about the importance of imitating confidence until it becomes an integral part of character. You can try to deceive your mind by pretending to be a brave daredevil. For example, to invite a girl you like on a date, making a promise not to worry if she refuses.
Once you manage to cope with fear, you should reinforce your success with encouragement. It can be expressed both in a material reward (a favorite dish, a bottle of expensive alcohol), and in intangible (a visit to a cinema, a country vacation).
In no case should failures and internal constraints dictate their conditions. Only he who does nothing is not mistaken. It’s unlikely that you can become a brave person without getting bumps, so you should not be afraid of failures on the way to gaining courage.
Exit Comfort Zone
Refusal from a habitual way of life at first can cause alarm, but it will give the chance to rise above fears. The implementation of new actions teaches us to be more comfortable with surprises, because of which, in fact, doubts and fear are born. Studying how to overcome fear in a specific situation will allow you to learn how to demonstrate courage when confronted with unforeseen circumstances.
Reasonable going beyond the comfort zone to the risk territory is a necessary condition for personal growth. You must learn to remove fear when meeting a new one. It is worth starting small. For example, to approach a stranger on the street with a request.
Everyone has things that he can not dare. One is not able to overcome himself and object to the leader, whose radical demands run counter to personal convictions, the other is afraid to jump with a parachute, although he has been dreaming about it for a long time. Sometimes these fears can be eliminated, and sometimes it does not work out.
Overly reflecting on this subject is clearly not worth it. It happens that reluctance to become bold is a manifestation of an adaptive model of behavior when a person simply does not see the point in doing what makes him fear. Focus on developing courage in other situations. So, you can first discuss your views with a close friend, and only then express everything to the boss.
Useful tips from psychologists
Courage is a quality that needs to be developed and constantly maintained, no matter how hard it may be. To go this difficult way, you should adhere to the following recommendations:
- Tune in to fruitful work on yourself. To achieve the ultimate goal without the right psychological attitude will be very problematic.
- Believe in yourself. It is necessary to stop paying attention to other people's opinions and listen to the advice of strangers. From past mistakes you need to learn a lesson and no longer focus on past failures.
- Do not avoid your fears. If a person is afraid to fly a plane, do not ignore flights, but, on the contrary, you should strive to use the services of air carriers as often as possible. After some time, the fear will begin to weaken, and then completely disappear.
- Learn to lose. There is nothing wrong with a person admitting and accepting his defeat. This time he was out of work, but the next fortune will surely smile at him.
- Expand your social circle. Establishing contacts with other people eliminates complexes and fears. An outgoing person is always associated with courage.
- Do not be afraid to take risks. A person who never takes risks, as a rule, lives bored and monotonous. The tempering of character and courage often occurs when actions related to increased production of adrenaline are performed. For this purpose, extreme activities such as climbing, surfing are suitable.
- Do not put things off the bat. Nothing kills motivation like endless promises to do something next time. You need to act here and now, otherwise there may not be another chance to realize what was planned in life. A brave man realizes his desires as soon as an opportunity looms before him.
- Praise yourself. Any action that results in victory over fear must be rewarded.
- Change your image. Confident people are not afraid of change. This applies not only to the appearance, but also to life views.
It must be remembered that fear is a normal reaction to the surrounding reality, without which the human race could not survive. Being a daredevil, not afraid to be at the epicenter of danger, is perhaps exciting, but extremely risky. The courage that does not go beyond the bounds of common sense will help to become better and fill gray everyday life with bright colors.