Our experienced team of editors and researchers contributed to this article and tested it for accuracy and completeness.
The wikiHow content management team carefully monitors the work of editors to ensure that each article meets our high quality standards.
OS X Lion has a new application management feature called LaunchPad. Unfortunately, uninstalling applications from LaunchPad is a rather complicated process. Removing applications purchased from the App Store is quite simple, but there are applications like Safari or Mail that the operating system does not allow you to remove. To remove these applications, you will have to enter some simple commands in the terminal.
1 way: uninstalling the application through FINDER
Finder - a standard application on poppies, necessary to configure the operating system and find documents. It runs continuously in the background. With Finder, you can completely get rid of any installed application in the operating system. To do this, follow the sequence of actions:
- At the bottom, on the start panel, there is a Finder shortcut, open it.
- After that you will get to the control window, select the line “Programs” in the left column. A list of programs and software names will appear on the right side of the folder.
- From the list, select the file you want to delete and right-click on it. In the menu that opens, click on the inscription "Move to Trash." An application from the operating system will be deleted after the name of the software disappears from the Finder tables. There will be as much free space on the computer because the software files are in the Recycle Bin.
- Minimize all windows and right-click on the "Trash". In the context menu, select the "Empty Trash" item.
- After that, the program will be erased from the computer entirely. To prevent the creation of temporary files at this point, you must restart the computer.
Uninstall a program using Launchpad
Launchpad provides a convenient way to remove programs that have been downloaded from the App Store.
- To open Launchpad, click the corresponding icon in the Dock or open the corresponding file in the Programs folder. You can also bring together the thumb and three other fingers on the trackpad.
- If the desired program does not appear in Launchpad, enter its name in the search field at the top of the screen. Either swipe right or left on the trackpad with two fingers to display the next or previous page.
- Press and hold the Option (⌥) key or click and hold the icon of any program until the icons begin to tremble.
- Click next to the program you want to remove, then click the "Delete" button to confirm. The program will be uninstalled immediately. Programs in which it does not appear, either were obtained not from the App Store, or are mandatory for the Mac computer. To remove programs not obtained from the App Store, use the Finder.
Removing a program does not result in the cancellation of any subscriptions that might have been purchased using this program. Learn how to unsubscribe from programs that have been downloaded from the App Store.
2 way: removal from LAUNCHPAD
Launchpad is a shortcut bar on mac OS. Identical to the desktop in Windows, it contains various user files.
The "library" on mac OS is a file manager. It contains application settings, programs, files and data.
To uninstall a program, you must perform the following steps:
- To erase something, you need to drag the shortcut from the dock panel to the Trash. This will remove the software, but all data from it will remain.
- To permanently erase a game or any other project, you must go to the "Basket" and empty it. This method is suitable for small indie games or text packages.
Uninstall programs using Finder
- Find the program you need in Finder. Most programs are located in the Programs folder, which can be opened by clicking Programs on the sidebar of any Finder window. Or use Spotlight to search for a program, then double-click the program in the Spotlight window while holding down the Command (⌘) key.
- Drag the program to the trash or select the program and choose File> Move To Trash.
- When prompted for a username and password, enter the administrator account name and password on your Mac. This is most likely the username and password that you typically use to log in to your Mac.
- To uninstall a program, select Finder> Empty Trash.
To reuse the program after uninstalling it, reinstall it or restore it from a backup.
- To reinstall the programs that were installed as part of macOS, reinstall macOS. This applies to programs such as Safari, iTunes, Books, Messages, Mail, Calendar, Photos, and FaceTime.
- You can also reload programs, music, movies, TV shows, and books installed from the App Store, iTunes Store, or Apple Books.
Movavi Mac Cleaner
For this software to work, you must perform the following sequence of actions:
- Go to the official website and download Movavi Mac Cleaner.
- Install this application and run. During the first start, a system scan will automatically occur, that is, a hard disk check will start.
- Whether to clean files or not is already the user's decision, and to remove the necessary software, click on the “Uninstall” item in the left column of the window.
- In this list, select the desired program to uninstall and click the Uninstall button.
Thanks to Movavi Mac Cleaner, you can remove standard applications that are not needed for everyday computer use, but take up a lot of space. To do this, you must complete:
- In the uninstallation window at the top, select the “OS X Applications” tab, where the list of standard applications is located.
- Select the name of the software you need and click the Uninstall button.
A popular and common utility for working with data on poppies. For its operation, the following sequence of actions is required:
- To erase a program in this way, you need to download the program from the official website and install it on your computer.
- Open it and select the “Applications” tab.
- Wait for data about software installed on your computer to load. After that, a window will appear with the inscription inside "Drop your apps here".
- Drag the icon of the application you want to uninstall.
- You can fix the application in another way by selecting the application from the list.
There are many good uninstallers, but the most popular are Movavi Mac Cleaner, Clean MyMac and AppCleaner.
4 way: built-in uninstaller
If you install the application from an unofficial source, it is better to remove it using the provided uninstaller. Such a file appears immediately after installing the application. It is automatically configured to completely remove the application and all its files from the computer. The sequence of actions will be as follows:
- Open Finder and find the "Programs" section.
- Select the name of the application and in the open list on the right find the file with the inscription "Uninstall (+ application name)".
- Launch it and follow the instructions displayed in the window.
Extra firmware in the operating system is enough. To remove embedded (standard) software from the system, you can use the functions of special applications or the command line of the operating system. If everything is already clear with the first option, since the instructions are described above, then nothing is known about the second method. The manual will describe how to properly remove the program on mac OS using the "Terminal":
- Open a command prompt, that is, select "Terminal".
- Enter the text without the brackets in the window: cd / Application. Press Enter.
- Then enter the name of the application, in this example it is “iTunes”. Press Enter.
This article describes the correct methods for removing programs from a Mac OS computer. There are several ways to uninstall: from Launchpad, through Finder, using third-party programs, the built-in uninstaller, and also the command line. Which way to use is up to you. We hope our article will help you with this.