From this article you will learn why we stick in social networks instead of work and study, as well as how to trick the brain and learn effectively.
- I want to learn layout effectively, but I can’t concentrate on boring material.
- Is it possible to become a programmer if I am n years old?
“I can't write code because of procrastination.”
These and similar questions are familiar to beginning and continuing programmers, and to all other representatives of the creative class. We get tired, stick for hours on social media feeds, drink tea endlessly, fight constant drowsiness - we do everything except really important things. Everything is easy for us except learning new things and work.
Why is this happening? About this in the article.
Spoiler: We misuse the brain and fall into its traps.
Why the brain does not want to learn
The good news is: you cannot understand and correctly apply recursion not because of laziness or lack of programming skills. Difficulties in learning new material in most people arise due to improper use of the brain. It's like with an ax: if you try hard, you can split the log with a butt. But it’s much more effective to cut with a point.
Barbara Oakley, a professor at the University of California at San Diego, says our brain works in two modes. It is focused and relaxed or diffused. Both modes are important for successful training or work. Therefore, it is important to understand and be able to use them correctly.
Concentrated mode is activated when we solve complex and non-trivial tasks. It also works when we try to understand something new, we are engaged in an applied activity unknown to us. For example, if you have never used Chinese chopsticks and mastered this tool, the brain works in concentrated mode.
To enable focused mode, try eating Chinese chopsticks soup
What's under the hood
To look under the hood, that is, in the skull, imagine a starry sky. The stars on it are nerve cells or neurons. To solve a specific problem, nerve cells must communicate with each other or form neural connections. This can be thought of as constellations.
To solve any problem, for example, cycling, declaring a variable, using a toothbrush, our personal star map has its own constellations or neural connections.
Neural connections are needed to solve any problem.
When a person does something familiar, for example, picks up a spoon, types on a keyboard or shaves, the brain uses existing neural connections. Nerve cells bind to each other along familiar routes. Therefore, we eat soup or pedal the bike without hesitation. The brain is relaxed.
When a person does something new, for example, learns Python or tries to eat soup with Chinese chopsticks, the brain is forced to create new neural connections. Nerve impulses seem to pave new ways on the stellar map of the brain. These paths merge into new constellations. But before the formation of synapses, a nerve impulse is forced to try a huge number of options, fall tens of thousands of times into black holes and collide with cooled stars.
Synapse - a place of contact of neurons in which the exchange of nerve impulses occurs.
When we learn new things, the brain works in a focused mode. This is a less efficient and more energy-consuming mode of operation. To find a path and unite into constellations, a neuron sends nerve impulses to tens of thousands of false directions.
To create new connections (red), neurons are forced to send nerve impulses in false directions (yellow)
Do you already understand why it is difficult for us to study? The focused mode is energy-consuming, so the brain cannot maintain it for a long time. Fatigue, drowsiness, and even procrastination are protective reactions or brain traps. He wants to go back to relaxed mode, so he reminds us of social networks and tea.
Why do we use the brain incorrectly
Another good news: a relaxed brain is just as important and useful for learning and solving applied problems as focused. That is, in the relaxation mode, the brain does not drain, but works. The beauty is that this happens without active efforts on our part.
This is easiest to understand by the example of skills. Imagine a person learning to knit. First, he assimilates the theory and acquires knowledge. He knows how to knit, but does not know how to do it. Then a man picks up knitting needles and knits several rows. Now he knows how to knit. But in order to make each loop, he must concentrate. When a person ties 100 thousand rows, he will be able to knit like your grandmother: looking at the TV screen or even half asleep.
Skill is an automatic skill. A beginner knows how to knit. To make a loop, his brain must focus and work in an energy-intensive mode. Grandmother has a knitting skill. She can knit a sweater without focusing on loops and rows. Her brain works in a relaxed mode. Therefore, the grandmother thinks about a sweater, and not about the movements of the knitting needles.
While knitting, grandmother does not need to strain and constantly think about loops
Thinking that you can learn something new only in focused mode, you are misusing your brain. In order to learn effectively, as well as for successful daily activities, both modes of operation are important.
In focused mode, you will learn new facts and gain skills. In a relaxed mode, you comprehend information, get a holistic picture and consolidate skills. Moreover, the brain generates new ideas when it works in defocused mode.
How Dali Defocused
The famous surrealist artist Salvador Dali used an interesting technique to search for ideas for paintings. He sat in a comfortable chair, relaxed and closed his eyes. In his hand he held a bunch of keys. Dali was drowning half asleep, his body was relaxing.
At some point, the hand released the keys, and the loud sound from their fall woke the artist. He immediately began to create, so as not to forget the ideas received in the state between sleep and wakefulness. The inventor Thomas Edison used the same technique.
Salvador Dali forced the transition from focused to relaxed brain
What is common between memory and weightlifting muscles
The good news is number three: memory can be trained. In this way, she looks like weightlifter muscles. But you need to train correctly. Memory and muscles cannot be developed in a day or in a week. Just do not remember about synthol pitching and psychostimulants. These are exceptions, therefore they confirm the rules.
Muscle strength builds up gradually
Human memory can be compared to computer memory. Like the iron assistants, we have RAM. Its volume is limited: according to the latest data, up to four blocks of information are effectively kept in it.
We have a long-term memory. Colossal amounts of information are stored on a conventional hard drive. We recall some information effortlessly. A person knows the address of his house very well, although he does not keep this information in RAM. But he regularly turns to the department of the brain in which the address is stored. For example, this happens when he calls a taxi or orders pizza.
We recall some information with effort. What is the last name of the girl you pulled the braid in first grade? What was the name of the teacher in kindergarten? A person rarely addresses the brain with this information, so the brain must make an effort to find ways to access the data.
We forget most of the information. It is not permanently erased, but stored in the far corners of our “hard drive”. But the brain does not know the paths to this data, since it never accesses it.
By the way, the proverb “the mind is ward, but the key is lost” very well describes the principle of the long-term memory. If the brain does not know the key to the desired memory department, the data in it will remain inaccessible.
To effectively learn and remember new information, you need to teach the brain to find ways to the desired departments of long-term memory. It is enough to regularly load information into RAM. That is, in one way or another use and repeat information.
Correctly use software and take care of hard
This is how you can summarize the conversation about effective learning. Healthy sleep, proper nutrition and physical activity are necessary so that the brain does not slow down and works in the mode laid down by nature and parents.
To learn effectively, it is important to let the brain focus and relax. Information repetition and practice form and reinforce new neural connections. The deductive method and metaphors will help move from the general to the particular and not lose the forest behind the trees.
Successful training! By the way, if you want to share secrets and chips that help you quickly learn new things, write in the comments.
Not a magician read a lot of letters.
You can eat an elephant piece by piece in a sitting)
Here are some tips from the Headfist series books:
HERE YOU CAN MAKE YOUR BRAIN WORK:
Listen to your brain and find out what works for you and what doesn't. Try new tricks
1. Take your time. The longer you understand, the less you will need to remember.
Just reading is not enough. stop and think. When a question is asked in a book, do not go straight to the answer.
IMAGINE SOMETHING REALLY ASKING YOU A QUESTION. THE DEEPER YOU MAKE YOUR BRAIN TO UNDERSTAND IN MATERIAL, the more chances to LEARN and TO REMEMBER.
2. Perform tasks, write your notes
We have given you tasks, but if we
decided them for you, it would be like
someone else goes to training instead of you.
And don't just look at the exercises. Use a pencil. There are many
evidence that physical activity in the process of training improves the quality of training.
Just reading is not enough. Stop and think. When a question is asked in a book, do not go straight to the answer. Imagine someone
really asks you a question. Deeper you
make your brain go deeper into the material
more likely to learn and remember.
3. Read the sections - These are not stupid questions.
That is, read them all. These are not additional frames, they are part of the main
material! Do not miss them.
4. Let the book be the last one read before going to bed. Do not read after anything complicated
Part of the training (especially the transfer to long-term memory) occurs after you
closed the book. Your brain needs time
on your own, additional processing.
If you upload it with something new during
of this processing, part of what you just
learned to be lost.
5. Speak what you read aloud.
A conversation activates another part of the brain. If
are you trying to understand something or increase your
chance to remember it later, say it
aloud. Better yet, try to explain it.
out loud to someone else. You will learn much
faster and you may have ideas that
did not occur when you read the book.
6. Drink water, plenty of water
The brain works better when there is enough fluid in the body.
7. listen to your brain
Make sure that the brain does not overload. If you feel that you have ceased to perceive the text or began to forget what you just read, then it's time to take a BREAK. When you reach a certain point, you won’t be able to learn faster, trying to remember even more,
just harm the learning process.
8. FEEL something your brain needs to know that learning has
value to you. Get involved in the story.
Create your own captions for the images. Sighing from a bad joke anyway
better than not feeling anything at all.
9. Write a LOT of code
There is only one way to learn how to program in Python: write a lot of code.
And this is what you should do throughout the book. Programming is
skill, and the only way to develop this
skill is practice. We will give you enough
many practical exercises: in each chapter
there are exercises that offer you
solve a problem. Do not miss them: big
part of the training happens then
when you do the exercises. We give a solution to each task - do not be afraid
look there if stuck! (Very easy
get stuck because of some little things.) But try to solve this problem yourself,
before you peep at the solution. And of course make it work before
Is it true that the brain only works at 10%?
Despite the fact that scientists are convinced of the use of the brain by 10-15%, other experts claim that this is a myth. To confirm this, weighty arguments are given:
- Studies of human brain dysfunctions have shown that minimal damage leads to fatal consequences. If 90% of the human brain were not used, then their damage would in no way affect the ability of people,
- If 90% of the brain volume were useless, then it would have a smaller size, in view of the lack of need for it. The human brain requires up to 20% of all body energy, while making up 3% of body weight. If only 10% of the human brain were needed, then in the process of evolutionary development, an advantage would be for a species with a smaller brain volume,
- Modern technologies make it possible to observe brain function through tomography. In the process of research, it turned out that the human brain is also active during sleep. All areas of the brain produce impulses if no damage is detected in the organ,
- The work of the brain is clearly structured. Each section of the human brain is responsible for a specific function. The departments of the body that do not perform any mandatory work were not found in the research process,
- Analysis of the microstructure of the human brain showed that all its cells and neurons are active. If the brain only functioned at 10% it would be noticed,
- Inactive cells die over time. If 90% of the brain did not function, then when the cranium was opened, large-scale cell death would be detected. In reality, this is not so.
The conclusion suggests itself that the theory of using 10% of the brain is nothing more than an unfounded myth. A person uses all areas of the brain, but not 100%. To understand how to stimulate brain activity, you need to find out how the human brain works.
The theory that the brain only works at 10% is nothing more than a myth!
How does the brain work?
The human brain is not more than 3% of body weight. This is approximately 1.5-2 kg. For its smooth functioning, the body requires 20% of the total amount of oxygen absorbed by the lungs.
The human brain is a multi-level biological system. Its composition is a highly organized structure. The brain has several areas, each of which is responsible for specific functions. Some areas are responsible for sensory information - the touch felt by the body. Others regulate motility - human movements. Third areas control cognitive function - the ability to think. Fourth are responsible for feelings and emotions.
The human brain is designed in such a way that inactive areas temporarily cease to function. Suppose, when a person does not walk, the area of the brain responsible for this process becomes inactive as unnecessary at this moment. When a person becomes silent, the part of the brain that regulates the ability to reproduce speech becomes inactive. When in silence, brain-controlled neurons in the hearing stop working. Imagine what would happen if all areas of the brain worked continuously. The human body could not bear such a load.
When the brain does not work correctly, a person instantly undergoes hallucinations due to the need to experience more sensations than expected. Thinking and brain activity are a complex field of knowledge. No specialist will be able to answer in detail the question of what will happen if all neurons of the human brain are excited simultaneously.
The simultaneous operation of all parts of the structure of the brain is impossible!
In the work of the brain, it is important to adhere to the "golden mean." Excessive intellectual activity has a detrimental effect on human life. The fact that it is impossible to make all areas of the brain work at the same time has a definite advantage. After all, when a person takes food, he does not need to sing when he is sitting at the computer - there is no need to dance when he is writing a dissertation - thoughts about something other than it will only hinder. Thus, not only the activity of the “necessary” neurons is necessary, but also the blocking of the “unnecessary” ones. Imbalance of the brain leads to mental illness and unnecessary problems.
An example of a disturbed balance in the functioning of the brain structure is a serious disease of epilepsy. A person undergoes seizures when blocking of “unnecessary” areas of the brain does not occur. At the time of the seizure, the brain activates those neurons that must be blocked. The wave of overexcitation of neurons leads to muscle cramps. Ощущения человека при приступе эпилепсии описать нельзя, так как во время припадка память не функционирует.
Заставить мозг работать на все 100%, активируя все нейроны, опасно. Но стимуляция мозговой активности, чтобы улучшить эффективность работы мозга, вполне возможна.
Способы заставить мозг работать на 100%
To use the capabilities of the brain to the maximum and without harm to the body, we suggest using useful tips.
- Active lifestyle. The more physical activity the body experiences, the better the brain works. Regularly playing sports, you will look at life more positively, become witty and happier. From physical exertion, the number of cells that regulate the process of studying information and memory increases.
- "Royal" posture. The position of the back and neck while walking or sitting affects the thinking process. Do a simple experiment. Try to solve the equation by sitting incorrectly, followed by a straightened back. You will notice that in the second case, the thought process works more efficiently.
- Good blood circulation. Violation of blood circulation interferes with concentration. If you are in one position for a long time, then do a little exercise or take a walk. This will help restore blood circulation.
- Thinking training. In addition to physical exercise, it is important to stimulate brain regions that regulate other functions. You can develop the brain only by making it work. Try a new one. Be curious. Ask questions. Visit new places. Read books. Take care of painting. Make it a habit to ask “why?” And always find the answer to this question.
Continuously explore the world and you will be amazed at the opportunities that will open to you in work and life.
- Positive thoughts. Studies of the brain have shown that thoughts affect its processes. Optimistic thoughts calm the brain and regulate the thought process. Negative thoughts, on the contrary, lead to depression, fear and do not allow the brain to be used at 100%.
- Laughter. It not only prolongs life, affecting the health of the body, but also contributes to the production of endorphins. This substance reduces tension and helps the brain work more efficiently.
- Memory development. Allow the mind to recall past events from time to time. Positive thoughts about what has already passed help to cope with problems in the present and find the right solution.
- Breaks Do not deprive yourself of short rest in the process of work. A short break will allow the brain to relax and establish a thought process.
- Riddles. Mosaics, crosswords, scanwords, sudoku, logical tasks - all this contributes to the development of the thinking process. Regular puzzles stimulate brain activity.
- Mozart effect. Listening to the music of a brilliant composer has a positive effect on mental abilities. Listening to classical music, you will begin to better cope with the tasks. This is the most harmonious way in view of the fact that at the time of listening to the classics there is a simultaneous relaxation of neurons and their stimulation.
- Improving skills. Hobbies and hobbies are important for the brain. It doesn’t matter whether you embroider, play chess or draw. Improve your skills. Read books, view workshops, improve. Achieving high results will positively affect brain function.
- Refusal of alcohol. Alcohol not only interferes with brain function, but also interferes with cell renewal.
- Games. In your free time, play board, card or computer games. This is a great opportunity not only to have fun with friends and family and to cheer yourself up, but also a way to develop strategic thinking. During the game, brain function improves.
- Pen and paper. Write down ideas and obsessive thoughts. Keep to-do lists. Make a list of books you plan to read or films you would like to watch. By unloading the brain, you will help it concentrate on other things. In addition, the recorded idea will not be forgotten.
- Love and sex. Studies of brain function have shown that regular sex improves and stimulates neurons through the production of the hormone "love" - estrogen. Emotional bonding is a factor that improves brain activity.
- The expression of thoughts. Try keeping a diary or blog on the Internet. Keeping records expands the brain. Express thoughts, tell stories, share experiences.
Express your thoughts by blogging on the Internet. By unloading the brain, you will improve intelligence.
- Training others. Is there something you know or know how to do? Teach others about it. By teaching, you yourself will learn something new. Self-education stimulates the brain and expands your capabilities.
- Aromatherapy Ever since the time of Cleopatra, the beneficial effect of odors on the human body has been known. Aromatherapy is used as a relaxing agent and for stimulation.
- Narcotic drugs. Caffeine and green tea extract stimulate brain activity. But the long-term effect of these substances cannot be achieved.
- Inspirers. Surround yourself with people worthy of your admiration. Read useful literature and discover new opportunities for growth. A constant load is vital to the brain. If you want the brain to work at 100%, be inspired and load it with information. Learn the poems of great poets, learn a foreign language. Make the brain work.
- Space. Get rid of unnecessary things and free up the space of the room. A room cluttered with things does not at all activate mental processes. Create a comfortable atmosphere in the place where you work.
- Learning the basics. Whatever you do, start by learning the rules and basic information. This habit will relieve disappointments in the future. Knowing the basics will not allow you to come across something that you do not have the slightest idea in the process of learning new things.
- Limitations Make a daily routine and set a time frame. So you will achieve the desired result, spending less time and effort.
- Meditation. Meditation improves memory and activates thought processes.
- Breath. When you need to concentrate, breathe. Deep breathing saturates the body with oxygen, which means you are starting to think better.
- Sleep. Lack of sleep adversely affects brain function. A person who does not get enough sleep regularly worsens his memory. He cannot concentrate and solve everyday tasks. Proper sleep helps the intellect and develops creativity. Get enough sleep!
In addition to the above tips, proper nutrition will help make the brain work at 100%. Omega-3 fatty acids are the substance without which the full functioning of the brain is impossible. First of all, it is oily fish and walnuts.
Use the brain correctly, use all its areas to improve intelligence. Start with small habits and eventually move on to global lifestyle changes and hobbies. By stimulating brain activity, you will become more productive and happier.